swimming, not drowning

There's something soothing about being completely and utterly wasted. Desdemona Snow, crystal champagne glass in hand, up the grand staircase of the presidents house up to her room. Taking a long sip, she wipes her lip with the sleeve of her cardigan and sets down the fluke, cherry red lipstick smearing even more. Her head, while pounding, is slowly falling towards the pillow, gradually hinting that she should probably go to sleep.

Turning on the television out of pure boredom, she immediately regrets it. The reaping was today, she thinks to herself. That's why you're like this. Shaking her head, she grimaces as she notices the specific district reaping that's being recapped on the three am news feed.

"District four is pleased to show off their stunning new tributes for this year! Finnick Odair, the male tribute representing district four, is sure to be the future heartthrob of the Capitol! Look at him! Only fourteen and already so attractive! Lets just hope his pretty face isn't demolished in the games! Looks like the odds are already in his favor, lets just see how much more they can help out Mr. Odair." The news reporter is disgustingly optimistic and horrifically inappropriate. She's probably in her forties; the idea makes Desdemona scoff.

"Stop sexualizing the kid..." Desdemona slurs at the tv. She more than anyone else would know the damage that does to a person. Rolling her eyes, she turns off the tv and finishes off her champagne. "Oh right, its my new job to make him the sex icon of Panem." Bitterly, Desdemona remembers everything that had happened in the day before.

   Her grandfather, President Snow, informing her that she (due to her "unacceptable behavior") is now the designer for The Finnick Odair. The boy that became a celebrity in seconds is now in her hands. She has to make everyone's attention stay on him, which seems easy enough considering he's the newest obsession of the precious games, but what's not easy at all is turning him Capitol. When you become Capitol, you become a pompous, ignorant, shallow sliver of a human. She should know, she's become one. But its a shame taking someone's youth, beauty, purity, and twisting it into something Capitol. Capitol isn't just a place; its a way of life.

   Oh and the worst part of it all is staying detached. Desdemona used to love people. Getting to see things through the minds of others, allowing herself to trust people with the things that coated her brain at ungodly hours of the night. Desdemona, to put it simply, used to like having someone. Inconvenient as it may be, Desdemona can't help but feel sorry for Finnick. Growing up as the center of attention in the capitol, nothing she said, did, or desired was private. Once she used to enjoy the spotlight, warm and bright; now its hot and blinding, overwhelmingly following her every move. Nobody should have to go through these unbearable games all alone. It's not fair to exploit innocent people with better futures than fighting to death with other children who want the same thing as they do; to survive.

"I'm not drunk enough it seems." She mutters and gets out of bed. No, she attempts to get out of bed, but doesn't have the strength nor the energy to even lift her body up. Wasted enough to not be able to lift up duvet cover, but not enough to forget everything that she deserves to forget. Giving up, she pulls the soft comforted over her head and tries to focus on the fact that her body is filled to the brim with alcohol.

Oh to be swimming, not sinking, in the sea of champagne problems.

~a/n OKAY ITS 3:30 AM BUT I FELT INSPIRED SO ME AND MY BEST FRIEND IZ HAVE BEEN ON FT KEEEPING EACH OTHER AWAKE

COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED (yk if theyre not rude asf...u wont hurt my feelings idc its just unnecessary yk?) AND MOST OF THEM HAVE ME CACKLING *cough cough im talking abt you christieon*

BUT YEAH ILY GUYS THX FOR READING BABES<3