Electric Showdown at the Vermilion Gym

After two weeks of traveling and training our heroes finally arrive at Vermilion City where Ash and Ritchie will earn their next gym badge.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Pikachu, use Iron Tail!" Ash commanded.

"Chuuu," Pikachu's tail turned metallic and struck the rock splitting it in half, "Pika!" the electric mouse jumped back over to his trainer to inspect his work.

"That was good Pikachu, now use Quick Attack!"

Pikachu nodded and took off with incredible speed zigzagging between the trees until he was just a blur.

"Finish it up with Electro Ball!"

Pikachu jumped in the air generating an electric ball in his tail releasing it hitting the tree in front of him that now had a big hole in it. Pikachu ran to his trainer jumping in his open arms.

"Pika Pikachu Pikapi? Pika Pika Pikachu (Did you see that Ash? My Iron Tail's getting better)!" Pikachu said with glee! He had been training with Luxray non-stop so he could perfect his Iron Tail and it finally paid off. It's the same with Quick Attack, which was easier to learn because it involved speed something Pikachu's good at.

Ash hugged his best friend, "I know I saw! All that training really paid off didn't it buddy?"

"Pika (Yeah)!" Pikachu smiled.

Ash heard someone approach from behind and saw it was Brock, "Hey Brock is lunch ready yet?"

"Yeah, I actually came to get you to let you know but I didn't wanna interrupt your training." He smiled.

"Actually we just finished training right buddy?" Ash looked at his best friend.

"Pika (Yep)!" he replied.

"Let's go then, Ritchie finished not too long ago by the way." Brock walked with Ash back to the campsite where everyone else was.

Ash looked at the breeder, "Really? So he knows what pokemon he's going to use against Surge?"

Brock nodded, "Yeah, he said he's using Sparky."

"Hmmm, that's not a bad choice actually," Ash said, "Since its an electric type gym using Sparky's a good call since electric types can take damage from another electric type. It may only take half the damage but it's still something."

Brock nodded in agreement, "What about you? Do you know what pokemon you'll use?"

Ash rubbed Pikachu's head softly, "I'm thinking of using Pikachu. I was going to use Sandshrew but he doesn't have enough endurance and I haven't trained him to tackle electric type attacks yet. Just because he has the type advantage doesn't mean it'll give me instant victory."

"That's a smart way to look at it," Brock commented, "I gotta be honest though I was honestly worried that you were going to use Sandshrew against Surge. Like you said you haven't trained him to endure electric type attacks yet so I was worried you would just send him out because he has the type advantage."

Ash took no offense to the comment, "No way. The one thing I hate the most is to see a pokemon in pain. Had I used Sandshrew against Surge there's a high possibility he would have tortured Sandshrew right off the bat." At that Ash had grim look on his face, he'd heard rumors of Surge's brutality and had to play it safe. Since Pikachu can use his speed to his advantage, plus learning Iron Tail and a fully perfected protective move Protect it should be okay. Hopefully.