The Breakup

"How could you not tell me" Landon's voice cracked as he spoke, tears rolling down his face.

"I thought i was protecting you." Hope confessed. Landon shook his head and turned away towards the oak double doors.

"Landon! I'm sorry, i'm so sorry." Hope cried as his hand twisted the doorknob.

"No, you had no right. She was my mother Hope. My mother. What made you think you could just not tell me? Imagine if that was your mom that Malivore spat out, huh. Imagine if i just didn't tell you that she came back."

"No, you don't get to use her as some kind of pawn in your argument. What i did was completely different." Hope interjected, the regret in her eyes replaced by rage at the mention of Hayley.

"Ok, you know what Hope? We're done." He shook off her hand, leaving her standing and sobbing alone, on top of the grand stairs.

"Next comes Hope Mikaelson from The Salvatore School!" The cheery voice of the bleach blonde presenter cut through the sound of her thoughts screaming at her. A beaming, white spotlight shone down on her, glaring into her piercing green eyes like a stare. The light glinted off the gems on her shimmering gown, throwing shards of blue light across the ballroom. Her eyes flicked around the room to see Alaric, Josie, Lizzie, everyone staring her down, expecting her to glide down the carpeted stairs.

Lizzie was the first to notice Landon's absence. She was also the first to notice the glistening tears sliding down Hope's face.

"Who is escorted by..." The presenter trailed off, not seeing anyone by Hope's side.

Lizzie knew something was wrong, and also knew that she had to do something. She brushed the lint off her black cotton t shirt, before running up the stairs to replace her missing partner. She linked her arm through Hope's, putting on a smile while leading Hope down.

"What happened to the muppe- Landon?" Lizzie asked softly while still holding the gracious smile across her face.

"He's gone." Hope said simply, pursing her lips to hold back the flood. Lizzie knew better than to ask for more detail.

"Ok, now all you have to do is get through one dance. Then we can go and talk about what's going on with bird boy in your room, maybe featuring some ice cream" Lizzie smiled encouragingly, really hoping Hope wouldn't break down in front of everyone. Hope gave a small nod, a nod that was almost enough to let the dam flow.

They finally reached the last step, and descended onto the dance floor. Lizzie held out her hand with a smile, which Hope accepted with the flicker of a grin.

Lizzie led her onto the wood tiled floor, twirling her around between her fingers. A phantom of a giggle. They danced for what seemed like hours, spinning and gliding throughout each other's arms.

"After this, we can get drunk, don't worry" Lizzie whispered with a grin. Hope smiled, a real smile for the first time all night. She ended the dance with a dip, leaning hope down in her arms.

Applause echoed through the panelled hall, ended by the Presenter tapping her microphone.

"And the Miss Mystic Falls winner is... Hope Mikaelson!"

Hope barely registered the news, remembering once again who was supposed to be dancing with her that night.

"Hope! Hope, you won!" Lizzie beamed, trapping her in a hug.

"Can we just get drunk already?" Hope whispered back, holding back sobs. Lizzie saw the glint in her eyes, and pulled her out of the back entrance and into Alaric's office. The door clicked open as Lizzie punched in the code.

"Dad has a secret stash of bourbon, some thing about Uncle Damon." she giggled, handing the bottle to Hope.

15 minutes later, both Hope and Lizzie were sitting side by side on Alaric's floor, drowned in bourbon.

"Landon's just mean. I mean I was jus tryna help." She slurred.

"Yeah. Boys suck. I guess that's why i'm gay." Lizzie laughed.

"You're gay?" Hope asked surprisedly.

"Yeah, I mean, i though the whole school knew since the night before with Mari. She was very, very good." Lizzie sighed.

"Lizzie!" Hope exclaimed, before bursting into laughter. "What's it like?" She asked abstractly.

"What's what like?" Lizzie turned to face Hope.

"Gay sex. I'm bi but like i've never had gay sex and i want to know what it's like." Hope said matter of factly.

"Hope!" Lizzie chuckled incredulously. "I mean.. Mari's always ok with one night stands since you're now single." She raised an eyebrow. As soon as she said it, she knew she had made a mistake.

Hopes grin faltered as she remembered her situation with Landon. Her eyes began to refill with sadness, something Lizzie quickly saw, even in her state.

"Hey, you know what? Apparently, mindless sex is supposed to help with breakups." She nodded her head, hoping that had somehow turned Hopes mood around again.

"Who would even be awake right now?" Hope took another swig of bourbon, grimacing.

"I mean... i'm awake am i not?" Lizzie kept her eyes trained on the empty shot glass in her hand as she said it. Hope slowly looked up at her. She could hear Lizzie's heart beating at a speed she didnt even think was possible.

"You know what? Why not." Hope said slowly, looking up at Lizzie, Their eyes met, as their lips finally touched.

After ten minutes of making out, Hope reached for Lizzie's t shirt. "We should go to my room. I'm not in the mood to get walked in on by dad." Lizzie said as she kissed her.

"New plan. Bathroom, now." Hope pulled Lizzie along the hall, into the bathroom and into the tiny stall. Her hands travelled along Lizzie's porcelain skin, the back of her hand sliding against Lizzie's scratchy t-shirt.

"Come on, take that off, it's getting annoying." Hope grunted as Lizzie kissed her neck.

"You do it." Lizzie breathed. By the end of that, Lizzie's t shirt wasn't exactly wearable again.