The One Who Makes Your Heart Race (Renga)

A/N: Man, I can't believe I managed to finish my first fic for sk8 by SK8 Saturday! I wished I could've finished it sooner, but writing block happens. Also, this is my first Renga fic, so I'm extra excited to get this posted.
This was supposed to be a short fic (can you believe that?). Langa was supposed to catch Reki outside of S and confess originally, but of course fics never turn out short when you intend them to
Anyways, this fic takes place starting episode 9 at the end of Langa's beef with JOE, and I wrote it before episode 10 dropped. The fic is half episode 10 prediction, half self indulgence and canon Renga hopes

♡♡♡♡♡♡

“SNOW won?”

“What a comeback win!”

People cheer from the sidelines in the abandoned factory, excited over the outcome of the beef, but Langa barely hears as his ears filter out most of the noise.

I won?

Langa lays face up, elevated off of the concrete only by his elbows. There’s a slight burning pain in his elbows, but he pays no mind to that.

The crowd’s voices are unintelligible now, jumbled words, at least to Langa. He won, but he can’t think about that. 

All he can think about is the end of the race, right after he crossed the finish, when he tried to stop his board. The sound of the snap repeats in his mind, and each time he re-experiences the feeling of his foot falling through his board, and his short skid across the concrete.

But...what was the snap?

Langa shivers as he sits up. He'd squeezed one of his eyes shut the moment he fell from his board, and even now he forces his other eye to stay open. That’s when he realizes he’s breathing hard.

The adrenaline is what kept him going during the second part of the race--the adrenaline that poured through his body when his heart began to beat in excitement again. He has to take a moment sitting there to recover his breath, and to prepare himself.

What snapped?

Langa sits up on his knees, and his heart drops when he sees his skateboard--the Reki L2S.

He fell off his skateboard because it snapped, right where his foot was.

Langa places his palms on the concrete and leans forward, checking out the damage. The background noise of the crowd fades into nothingness, until there’s only him and his skateboard.

My… Reki’s... The…

There has to be a way to fix it.

There has to be.

“Langa…” JOE starts from behind him, footsteps lightly hitting the concrete as he walks closer. “You got me. I didn’t think you’d use my power…”

But Langa can’t hear him.

His mouth is slightly parted, eyes drooping, as he sits in front of that skateboard. His heart still holds that tiny bit of excitement, but sadness joins it.

That skateboard is the last piece of Reki he has, the only piece he’s had since Reki left him that day in the rain and stopped hanging out with him.

And I broke it.

For some reason, he’d felt happier than he had in a while when he saw Reki cheering him on from the sidelines, but now he’s broken the skateboard, something that was theirs.

I broke our promise and hurt Reki...and now I’ve broken our board…

How many things will he break without realizing? How many times has he broken something without knowing already?