Chapter 3: Shit happens

Amity was not having a good time.

The seatbelt would not come undone, no matter how much she wrestled with the clasp. The cart was only picking up more momentum as it traveled downhill, and at this point she wouldn't be surprised if this was how she met her end.

"AMITY I'M COMING!" Luz shouted, racing after her.

She didn't make it very far. Luz tripped over an untied shoelace and face planted, making Amity wince as a plume of dirt rocketed into the air.

The cart flew over another speed bump, and Amity's stomach dropped at the sensation of being temporarily airborne.

"C'mon, c'mon c'mon!" she muttered to herself agitatedly, finally wrenching the buckle open as it snapped in half.

She threw the seatbelt off over her shoulder and leapt into the driver's seat. Amity slammed on the brake just as a scream erupted from behind her. Keeping her foot on the pedal, she twisted her head around to see a girl sprawled on the ground, looking winded and startled.

Amity was about to open her mouth to apologize when Luz finally appeared, out of breath and heaving for air as she leaned against the cart.

"Amity... I'm so glad... you're okay..." She clutched at her side. "Wow I need to exercise more."

Amity blew a stray strand of hair out of her face, as she took in Luz's disheveled appearance.

"Yeah you do," she agreed, grinning when Luz shot her a fake-wounded expression.

"Excuse me!"

Luz and Amity startled, turning their attention towards the new voice.

"If you're done flirting with each other," The girl rose to her feet unsteadily, though Amity couldn't see any visible wounds on her. "We can discuss the terms for compensation."

Amity raised an eyebrow.

"Compensation? For what?"

"Don't play dumb." The girl rolled her eyes and gestured towards herself, waving her hands emphatically. "Compensation for the emotional distress you caused me!"

Luz gave her a weird look.

"Nothing happened."

"Your girlfriend nearly ran me over!" the girl fumed.

Luz and Amity blushed, and began talking over each other.

"We're not-"

"She's not-"

"Shut up, both of you!" the girl hissed. "The level of disrespect you're showing me right now is sickening."

Luz gave her a blank look, while Amity glanced at her distastefully which made the girl even more pissed.

"Don't you know who I am?!" she asked haughtily, placing a manicured hand on her hip.

"...No?" Amity answered while Luz shook her head.

The girl grit her teeth and balled her hands into fists, barely containing her fury. There was a bulging vein on her forehead Amity was certain would pop any moment now.

"Prudelphina Phrenemay, heir to Phrenemay Pharmaceuticals," she spat. "The Phrenemay family has supported this institution for generations." She narrowed her eyes. "Mark my words- you will suffer the consequences for almost killing me!"

Phrenemay?

Something clicked, and a small smile found its way to the corner of Amity's mouth.