5

Harry was happy. Louis came back from his third date and told him that they had decided to not see each other anymore. He felt awful for being happy about it but he couldn't help it. Things were back to normal. Louis wasn't going out on dates.

They were planning for Rory's first birthday party. They had invited their friends and family and Harry had been googling birthday cakes non-stop. They wanted their daughter's first birthday to be perfect.

Harry loved their quiet family life. It was all he needed and he allowed himself to pretend that it was for real because he really wished that it was. Having Rory changed everything for him, or maybe it had always been there, he had just refused to acknowledge it. He knew that he was fooling himself but he couldn't help it.

Rory was getting up by herself now and they spent a lot of time walking her between them, trying to get her to take her first steps. They laughed and had a great time together, just the three of them.

A week before Rory's birthday party Harry had finally settled in a raspberry and chocolate cake and hurried home after work to tell Louis that he finally had made up his mind. Louis had been teasing him about it.
"It's just a cake Haz. She won't even remember it."

He parked the car and unbuckled Rory from the car seat and took her inside.
"Lou? I have decided on the cake!" He shouted from the hallway as soon as he came inside their apartment.

Louis came walking into the hallway and reached for Rory and Harry handed him over.
"Hi Love, have you been good to dad today? So what did you decide on?" Louis said and kissed Rory's head.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows. Louis was dressed for a night out.
"Raspberry and chocolate. Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah, I got a date!" Louis smiled.

Harry controlled his facial expression.
"Okay. Have fun."

"Yeah, see you later. Bye Rory. I love you." Louis said and kissed their daughter one last time before he handed her over to Harry again.

He put his shoes and jacket on and walked out the door. Harry just stared at the door for a moment before he sighed.
"I guess it's just you and me then sweetie. Let's make something to eat."

He tossed together a quick dinner and sat down to eat with Rory. Half her food ended up on the floor but he let her eat by herself because she liked it. He made sure to give her a couple of spoons as well so she got enough in her little belly.

He wiped her hands and mouth and put her down on the floor before he went down on all fours to clean up the mess she made. In the corner of his eye he saw some movements, and his eyes grew wide when he turned his head to look. He gasped in surprise and a smile spread over his face.
"Rory! You're walking!"

She fell on her bum and he immediately rushed over and picked her up. He hugged her and laughed and then his mood changed. Louis missed her first steps. He should have been there.

When he had put her to sleep he waited up for Louis, getting more and more upset. When Louis finally came home he glared at him.
"Fun date?"

"It was okay. Are you pissed off?" Louis asked, staring back at him in surprise.

"Rory took her first steps today but you weren't here. I hope the guy was fucking worth it." Harry snarled.

Louis's face fell and he looked absolutely devastated.
"She walked?"

"Yes. It was a great moment and you weren't here to see it." Harry huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. He knew that he wasn't being fair but he was so disappointed.

Louis's eyes teared up and Harry felt awful.
"Don't do that. I'm fucking heartbroken that I missed it but it could have happened when I was at work. We're bound to miss out on things because we're not together 24/7. Are you really gonna make me feel like shit just because I was on a date? I need more Haz."

Harry sighed and dragged a hand through his hair.
"I'm sorry Lou. I was just disappointed. I wanted to share that moment with you."

"Me too! Fuck! Me too, Harry. Honestly, how disappointed don't you think I am?" Louis said, sounding sad.

"I got it on tape the second time. Wanna see?" Harry asked, more softly.

"Of course I wanna see!" Louis immediately responded.

They sat down on the sofa and Harry handed him his phone. They put their heads close together and watched the clip. Louis gasped.
"Oh God, look at her. She's amazing." He said in awe.

They watched the clip five more times before they headed to bed. Rory almost slept through the night now. She usually just woke up once and some night she slept all the way through. Louis's reason for sharing a bed with him had always been Rory. Harry wondered how long it would take until Louis decided that it was time for Rory to sleep in her own room and with that, he would also sleep in his own room. He hoped he would hold off on it for as long as possible. He loved their sleeping arrangement and wasn't sure that he would even be able to fall asleep anymore unless Louis held him. He was in way too deep and it would end well. He knew that.

They climbed into bed and Louis spooned him from behind like always.
"Good night Haz." Louis said softly.

Harry's heart took an extra beat.
"Good night Lou."

Yeah, he was in way too deep.