iii.

The unicorn medallion seals into its rightful place at the statue with a groaning mechanism pushing aside another piece of whatever was blocking the path below

The unicorn medallion seals into its rightful place at the statue with a groaning mechanism pushing aside another piece of whatever was blocking the path below. Behind you Claire is conversing with a bitten officer, something about the cop she had come into town with. Apparently the man had made it to one of the locked gates near the break room, so your next task was to get there and figure out if you could get him inside.

The two of you walk side by side up the stairway, quietness radiating from the brunette beside you. She had been distressed by Marvin's declining health and you both knew he wouldn't last through the night at this rate. Maybe not even the hour.

"So," you start, once you're walking inside the waiting room. "Is this cop we're looking for your boyfriend or something?"

Claire raises a brow at you, shaking her head with a chuckle. "No, we just met tonight. Why, you jealous?"

You manage a chuckle, though she's pretty correct. "Haha, fuck you."

She lets out a genuine laugh at your words, pausing at the doorway to let you pass through first when she's sure there's no sign of zombies. Claire wanders inside a room to the left of the waiting room while you stand guard outside, keeping a close watch for any unwanted visitors.

You wondered how long this would last; the looming threat of undead horrors. You'd been in the city for little over a couple of hours now but how long had RC been like this? Surely, by the state of things around town, it had been in chaos for a day or so at least. Would you make it out alive, and if you did, would the rest of the world be like this?

Claire returns just in time to swoop you out of the dark place your mind was dancing close to going. She furrows her brows, places a hand on your shoulder and squeezes gently. "You okay?" The gesture makes you blink rapidly, trying to focus on the present time rather than your own thinking.

"Yeah, just fine."

She tilts her head to the side, bangs fanning over her cheeks as she does. "What's up?" Claire's eyes simmer with curiosity and concern, searching over your face for signs of distress.

"I was just wondering about if we're going to get out of this and if we do, what if the rest of the world is like this?"

Claire nods in acknowledgment of your words. Truth is, she had thought about those same things from the moment she saw the first zombie in the gas station outside of town. But she was optimistic, Claire Redfield was not one to be held down or suffocated under pressure. And she damn sure would not die in this city.

"We're going to make it out, I know it. When we do we're going to find somewhere safe, and we'll worry about everything else after that. I got your back, Y/N, I won't let anything happen to you."

You allow your eyes to wander over her face for a minute, feigning that you were only taking a moment to recuperate, but in reality you're studying this angelic survivor you've found yourself stuck with. The distance between the two of you had considerably fallen during this small exchange, so much so that you could almost feel the warmth of her breath fanning over your cheeks.