ever since new york

an alternate universe starting in the summer of 1989

Angelina takes a bite of the sourdough Kiyoshi's made. He's slaved over perfecting the recipe and the appearance of the bread, he's like some god because it's the best she's ever had. "So good," she whispers, taking another bite.

"Really," he asks, then examines the bread. "I feel like it's a bit overcooked--"

"It's perfect," she cuts him off, shaking her head. "You better start giving yourself more credit, or else I'm telling Aunt Sally what you got her for her birthday."

He grins.

The last year had been very eventful. Uncle Winston passed away nearly two years ago and Kiyoshi had come to the funeral. It was the first time he and Aunt Sally had seen each other in nearly three decades, but it was easy for them. His weekend stay turned into a week and then more phone calls and visits happened until both of them knew that they couldn't go on with all of this.

Aunt Sally had moved to New York approximately eleven months ago and she was the happiest Angelina had ever seen her.

Kyoshi and Sally finally got their happy ending, even if it took too many years, neither of them would've done it any different. Now, they share a too-big house with too many cats and the rest of their lives to live the what-if they'd wondered about.

She takes a sip of her water and glances at the clock, "I have to go soon."

"Nervous?"

"A little."

"Why don't you call him once before you go. Nobody else calms you down like that boy."

And at every table, I'll save you a seat.

She's on the phone, leaning against the wall. Letting it ring and almost hoping it won't go through. He's always busy and probably doing something very important--

"Hello Mam," a familiar voice greets her.

Angelina smiles. "Hey Fitzy, can you . . ."

"Already called for him."

Fitzy, from what she's heard, is a gangly boy who trips over her feet at any given second. But, he has a good heart and a determination to do whatever task he receives to the best of his ability. He's also become Angelina's friend over the last few years.

"Got some girl back home yet," she teases him, "Your already stuck at this phone, might as well make the most of it."

He laughs. "No, Mam. I'm not very good at all that."

"Well, next time you're back home. You come visit me then, the kids are dying to meet you."

"I'd be honoured, Mam."

God, this boy just begs her to love him.

Then, there's a rustling in the background and she hears, "Jelly?"

"Nathan," she greets back, already feeling herself become giddy. Oh Merlin, just his voice makes her melt. "How are you today?"

"I'm doing well. How are you?"

"Good. Good."

"How's it like in New York City?"

"Amazing. Kiyoshi makes this sourdough to die for, like an instant orgasm. Then Kent and that cook at the jazz club, they've moved in. Went to their flat and it's the cutest thing ever." Pause. "I want us to come here one day. Every time I see something nice, you're the first person I think of."