Chapter 2

'Astrid,' he says, with frustration and genuine concern, 'you know you can come to me for help, don't you? You don't have to go back home if you're not safe. If you don't want to live with me, I have friends in a nearby town who could look after you,' he offers.

'Thank you, Jim, but I'm fine. I just fell down the stairs,' I lie, forcing a small smile.

Jim scoffs with disbelief. 'You said the same thing last time, Astrid,' he retorts with frustration.

Unable to maintain the façade any longer, my trembling lips quiver, and tears form. 'What can I say?' I choke out, my voice breaking as I slam my hands onto the counter in frustration. 'My house is old. The stairs are rotting.'

Without hesitation, Jim rushes to my side, his strong arms enveloping me in a protective embrace. He holds me close as I let my tears fall.

'Let me help you, Astrid,' Jim pleads with genuine concern.

I retreat a step, pushing him away, my head shaking in refusal. 'You don't understand,' I tell him, my voice adamant. 'I can't accept your help.'

His brows furrow in confusion, Jim persists, 'Why not?'

I heave a sigh, a gust of resignation escaping my lips. 'My dad would find a way to get me back,' I explain, my voice barely above a whisper. 'And he'd hurt, possibly kill, anyone who tried to stop him. He'd rather have me dead than see me living elsewhere,' I confess.

Jim takes a deep breath. His gaze doesn't leave mine. 'Regardless of whether you're the reason for your mother's death,' he says, his voice steady, 'you don't deserve this. There has to be something I can do to help you, Astrid?'

I turn away, my gaze falling on the food I've been preparing on the table. 'I know I don't deserve this,' I admit, my words ting with a sense of hopelessness. 'But I don't know what else to do. If you can't handle seeing a few bruises, I could always find a job elsewhere.' I reach for the knife, its cold handle familiar, and return to slicing the lettuce.

I can feel Jim's gaze burning into me whilst in thought. 'I want you to stay, Astrid. I don't like seeing humans treat our kind like this, even if you are a rogue,' he frowns.

Pausing, with a confused expression, I stare at him, perplexed. 'Humans? A rogue? I don't know what planet you're from or what kind of human you think I am, but we're all just humans,' I retort, my confusion evident.

I return my attention to the task at hand, now chopping carrots.

Jim stands there, his usual air of composed warmth shattered by shock, his mouth agape in stunned silence. I shoot him a puzzled look, concern creeping into my voice. 'What's wrong now?' I ask, my brows furrowing in response to his strange reaction.

But he remains utterly still, appearing even paler than usual. It was as if a profound realisation had seized him, leaving him frozen in bewilderment. I can't help but worry as I rush towards him, fearing the worst. 'Jim? Are you okay? What's wrong? Is it a heart attack?'

His eyes blink rapidly, and he places a hand on my shoulder, a gesture of reassurance. Yet, as his fingers make contact, I involuntarily flinch, stepping back. I know Jim would never hurt me, but years of abuse have left me uncomfortable with physical contact, and he notices, his brows furrowing in response to my reaction.

Breaking the heavy silence, Jim finally speaks, voicing an apology and understanding. 'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you,' he says, his eyes reflecting the sadness of a man who has glimpsed the depths of my suffering.

I shake my head and reassure him. 'I know you wouldn't hurt me,' I admit, my voice tinged with vulnerability. 'I'm just not us to the gentleness.'

Jim gives me a sympathetic smile before a profound question tumbles from his lips, a query that leaves me utterly perplexed. 'Do you not know what you are?' He asks, his tone heavy with implications that I sense I should already know.