Chapter 57 Peaches

On the morning of their departure to visit his grandmother, Wei Ying woke up feeling disorientated. The room circled a few times before it settled, and he thought no more of it due to the excitement of actually leaving Cloud Recesses.

Traveling through the mirror didn't count because he was still technically in Gusu. Uncle Qiren had approved of this journey when Wei Ying had mentioned it in their last tea drinking session. He smugly thought that his relationship was quite good now with the cantankerous old man, enough that he was sure his visits were frequenter than his nephews.

Wen Ning was of course coming with them. The children looked upset when they were told they couldn't go.

"I don't see why not, you're always getting into trouble without us!" JingYi had complained.

Wei Ying, realizing it was true, decided not to argue.

"Please come back safely." SiZhui had told them.

Wei Ying hugged him and said, "I often feel like we're neglecting you. Will you be alright?"

JingYi threw his arms around his friend. "Absolutely! No doubt we'll get punished for something or other!"

"I am fine, father. I will miss both of you." SiZhui said.

But Wei Ying couldn't shake the feeling. SiZhui, although far more mature for his age, would always be his little boy from the Burial Mounds, and for some reason, Wei Ying didn't want to let him go right then. He found himself hugging his son again, and then hastily wiping away the sudden tears. SiZhui patted his back.

"You'll be back in no time, and I will be here, waiting for you." He replied, smiling.

"I'm supposed to say mushy stuff like that to you."

"Alright, mom!" JingYi jumped in.

Wei Ying glared at him.

*****

"I don't even know why I was so clingy," he said in Lan Zhan's ear, holding on to his husband as they rode on Bichen. Wen Ning was running on the ground; as he didn't need to sleep, catching up with them would be no problem.

"Mn."

"When we get back, I'm going to spend days with him." He declared.

"Mn."

"And you." He kissed the cold ear next to his lips which promptly changed temperature.

Since the whole throwing him off a sword into the Burial Mounds incident, Wei Ying had found traveling by sword a bit stressful. In the beginning, the mere suggestion would bring on panic attacks, which only Lan Zhan understood. He would have to talk him off the ledge as it were, and now Wei Ying found he could only travel by sword if Lan Zhan was with him.

Even now, he dared not look down, instead, distracting himself by memorizing the shape of Lan Zhan's ear, the tiny hairs on the back of his neck, or simply closing his eyes and breathing in the heavenly scent of sandalwood. He wondered if there was a way that unique scent of clean linen, sandalwood and Lan Zhan could be bottled, to be enjoyed at the spur of the moment. Lan Zhan was yummy.

"No, Wei Ying is." Came the reply, and Wei Ying realized he'd said that last part out loud.

*****

As Baoshen Sanren had guessed, the wards allowed them to pass without hindrance. She met them when they reached the cherry grove, and Wei Ying made it a point to ask her another time, if she had a physical connection to the protective barrier, that let her know if she had guests.

"We have lots to tell you, grandma," Wei Ying told her, walking up the slope arm in arm, Lan Zhan trailing behind, amused. Of course, only Wei Ying could tell.

"I have news too." She replied.

Wei Ying looked at her then, and found her more relaxed than before. She was always going to stay a young woman of around thirty (he dare not ask her actual age, even though he was dying to know) but the lines of stress had disappeared.

"Are your kids alright?" He was just asking when Li XiWang came running towards them, beaming. She grabbed his hand and swung it while they walked, and smiling at him whenever he looked at her.

"Someone's excited to see you." His grandmother mock whispered.

"As I am to see her." Wei Ying grinned back before turning to the little girl. "What have you been up to, little one?"

That was apparently all he needed to say to break the word dam. She didn't stop talking until they reached the cave.

"Breathing helps," he told her, laughing.

"But I have so much to tell you!" She exclaimed.

"Now run along, XiWang." His grandmother said firmly.

The little girl pouted and held his hand tighter. "I don't wanna."

"Then don't complain when there's no pie left for you!" She threatened.

Li XiWang was obviously torn.

"Don't worry, we will still be here after your lunch." Wei Ying bent and hugged her. She was such a delight.

She ran backwards, laughing and waving. "I'll be back soon." She promised.

Baoshen Sanren led them into her cave and Wei Ying was bombarded with the memories of their time, healing here.

He caught himself distracted and quickly pulled out the bell.

"The Queen mother of the West has given this to you." Wei Ying went on to tell her everything that had happened since they had left her. He showed her the seed packet too.

"Is this what I think it is?" She asked, sniffing it.

"What exactly is it? They never said." Wei Ying frowned. "They did say you would know what to do, and the bell would show you whatever you wanted."

"I think the seeds will grow a peach tree." His grandmother said, looking delighted.

Lovely, Wei Ying thought, not sharing how she felt. If he didn't see another peach in his immortal life, it would be too soon.

"And not just any peaches, but those peaches, those one of a kind sacred peaches..."

Oh.

"And," she went on, "there must be a connection between the two." She held up the bell and shook it gently. The sweet notes filled the air and a shape appeared next to Baoshen Sanren.