Chapter Four

His hero was here, he had lost. His whole life was going to be ruined because he had been careless, of course, his hero had been able to see into the ally, he had been following him. But he wouldn't go down without a fight. He had worked too hard for his new life to just give up on it. He drew the power he had stolen to the surface, he could never win, he wouldn't be able to defeat his hero, he was out of practice.

"I'm not here to fight you" he looked up, that couldn't be right. "You saved me back there, I wanted to thank you"

"Thank me?"

"I would never have won if you hadn't shown up'' he began down the stairs ''I mean don't get me wrong I was terrified when you showed up, I thought you had been training all of the new villains. I thought I was going to die, but then you helped me. Even more surprising you listened to me, I didn't even use my powers but you listened and-"

"I understand how you got here, but why out of the silly costume you wear? And even if I saved you, I'm still the most wanted villain, am I not?

"I- well" he stopped at the bottom of the stairs "I came out of my dignified and not at all silly costume to show you that I am not here to harm you and not here in any official capacity. And yes, you are still the most wanted villain but I'm just an ordinary civilian right now, what chance do I have against Soul Slayer" he took a tentative step closer to me. "Why did you help me?"

"Well you asked me, didn't you?" recognition dawned on his face "what would it say about me if my arch-nemesis was defeated by a weak nobody?" his hero came a little closer, there was something very familiar about him, he had thought it was just him recognizing his hero but it was more than that. He had seen this man before, but where?

"You could have gotten the police or someone else but why come back as Soul Slayer?" he was now standing right next to him, where did he know him from? Had he gone on a date with him, he was certainly his type. But that didn't feel right, then it hit him. He took a step back, into a table,

"How-" this man, his hero had been there, he had always been there "How can you trust me? I- you" he looked sad

"So you do recognize me" it was impossible, his hero had been there, his hero was the brother of the first man he had ever killed.

"After what I have done, how can you stand here and thank me?"

"If this had been before I wouldn't be able to, I was so angry at you for so long, but then you disappeared. I thought I had killed you. I wasn't happy, it didn't do anything for me. I thought it was because there was no proof that I couldn't be sure you were gone. But then you showed up today, and I was scared and shocked and a whole slew of other things, but I wasn't angry anymore, You were different, I was different. For so long we had both been fighting for something unattainable, trying desperately to achieve the impossible" he stepped forward and grabbed his hands "but now we are past that, now we are so much stronger" they stood hand in hand for what seemed like an eternity, but was in reality only a few seconds.

"No, I'm not being a hero"

"But we could be so great, the city would be clear of villains in days, we-"

"No" he pulled his hands away, "I'm not giving up my life to be a hero, I quite enjoy having a reputation as a villain"

"But you helped today"

"The only exception, I'm slowly regretting it" he turned around to fiddle with random wires that had been left on the table behind him.

"We would be unstoppable, you could get a new costume and not have to give up anything" turning to the table was supposed to end the conversation, but he should have known his hero was relentless.

"As if anyone would believe that I was someone new with the same exact powers and stature, and I know how a villain thinks I refuse to give up the life I have worked so hard to build and keep. You being here has already ruined it enough."

"How has my being here ruined your life, I thought we were getting along quite well" he walked over and sat against the table next to me,

"I have a normal life, I have a dog and a job and friends and all of the things I never had the chance have or even want as soul slayer." he put his hands down on the table to stop them from shaking "I'm sorry but I'm not giving that up to go play hero" He looked over into the other man's eyes, and they stood there like that for a moment,

"I understand" his hero sighed pushing himself off from the table and taking a few steps, he watched him go, he should say something but he had no clue what. Suddenly his hero turned back to face him

"But how do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Leave." this was the fourth time today his hero had left him speechless, and he was getting really sick of it, he was the one supposed to be leaving people speechless. He had apparently paused too long,

"I mean you left, you have a life you really care about now and I want that. This hero thing has been tearing me apart for so long. There are other heroes in this town and I just need to leave." He was still speechless, his old arch-nemesis was asking for his help? This was unheard of, it was... well, it was honestly a little endearing. He was still processing and decided to try and understand a little more,

"If this hero business has been tearing you apart, then why did you ask me to join you?" his hero looked guilty

"Well" he rubbed in neck nervously "It- uh, being partners with you would- um, it would make it more bearable, and, um well- I uh" while his hero being flustered was cute he decided to have mercy on him

"Alright, but I don't think I can help you as much as you think. I was a villain when they disappear it is seen as wonderful. You are a hero, you cant duck out as easy."

"I guess your right" his hero dropped his hand "I would still-"

"THEO" an angry voice shouted from the hall above the balcony. He turned to his hero,

"Hide" he whispered urgently, his hero had just duked underneath a table when a figure emerged on the balcony,

"Hey," he said meekly, smiling weakly at the newcomer.