Stress Reduction

Working overtime is nothing special for Chishiya. As a doctor, there are always unpredictable events such as emergency operations or shifts that need to be covered. You have long stopped messaging him about when he will come home. On most days, he doesn't find the time to read your messages until he is done with his shift anyway, but at least when something really important is going on, you know he will always be there in time.

It's alright though, because Chishiya will make up for it every day. Mostly with tiny gestures – buying your favorite coffee on his way home, casually massaging your shoulders, or watching your preferred series with you even though he hates it.

While he rarely shows his emotions openly, it is easy for you to tell when his work has been outstandingly stressful, and this day is one of them.

The sound of clanking keys wakes you from a light slumber. You wanted to wait for Chishiya to come home, but his late shift turned out to be longer than expected and it's in the middle of the night already. You hide a yawn as you glance towards the door, and soon, Chishiya sits down on the sofa next to you.

His heavy sigh indicates that it was a hard day, and you know exactly what that means for you. Even though you'd prefer to plant a kiss on his lips to greet him, you turn around and cross your legs so the position won't get uncomfortable. Within seconds, you can feel Chishiya's fingers softly touch your hair as he starts to braid it.

That's what he always does to cope with stress. Somehow, braiding your hair helps him to calm down noticeably, and you don't mind at all. The more or the tinier the braids are, the more stressful his day has been. Sometimes, he will even tell you what has been going on, but on most occasions, you will both stay silent. You don't ask either, because if he doesn't start talking himself, he doesn't want to talk at all.

Each and every time, you are surprised at how gentle he is when it comes to you. But the more time you spend with Chishiya, the more you realize that he is not heartless or coldhearted at all. Self-centered and maybe arrogant, yes – but he is still able to feel. And while he'd never say such things as "I love you", he tells you at so many occasions without using words if you look close enough.

You're tired and would love to sleep, but at the same time you know that Chishiya needs this right now. Today, the braids he makes are particularly small, and it takes a long time. You don't mind, because if this is something you can do to help him feel better, you are glad to do so.

Whenever you run the risk of dozing off, Chishiya will put your head back into the right position – gentle, but determined. He won't allow you to leave until he has calmed down enough to stop.

Loving this man is definitely not easy at all, but it is worth it. It gets clear to you once more when he is finally finished braiding your hair. You can feel his calm breath on your skin as he leans forward to hug you, kissing the side of your neck just so casually. He lifts you up and carries you to the bed so you can get your well-deserved rest, and there is nothing more soothing than falling asleep in his arms, while he will slowly open one braid after another until he finally falls asleep too.

While tomorrow will be another stressful day for Chishiya, you will be here, waiting for him – like you always are. And that's what he loves about you.