Chapter 7

Sam tried to keep his breathing even as he walked into the dining room.
    It seemed larger than the entire Keep, Chandeliers dripping gold and silver hanging above a dining table that looked to be over 16 feet long and 7 feet wide.
    The carpet under it was blood-red, the wood floor deep mahogany, matching the table and tablecloth.
    And the people... they were beautiful. There was, of course, Celaena, his Celeana, sitting there and laughing, Rowan's hand on her shoulder.
    I cleared my throat awkwardly, and Celeana's head shot up. Rowan simply looked him up and down, as if staring into his soul, before huffing out a sigh and continuing his conversation about weapons with the tan, golden-haired man. Fenrys, he assumed.
    The dismissiveness of it made his blood boil. In some twisted way it reminded him of Arobynn, the all-too calculated way he could make a man feel whatever he wanted them to. He wondered if his former teammate saw it too.
    But from the look on her face, he doubted she had even noticed.
    "Ah... sit." She gestured to an empty seat next to Fenrys and across from her.
    He got himself ready for the anger or coldness or even just disgust, but when he met those onyx eyes, all he saw was curiosity. The man-well, male- proceeded to beam at him and pat the chair beside him.
    He stood there for a second, shocked, before digging his nails into his skin and hesitantly sitting.
    "I'm Fenrys! You're Sam, right? The long-lost lover? Let me apologize for Rowan, since I doubt he will. He has such a foul temper, and of course those Fae genes kick in and suddenly he's an overprotective bastard. I swear, there was this one time I walked in on Celaena showering-accidentally, mind you-and Whitethorn almost ripped my throat out! He probably would've if A-Celaena hadn't stepped in. In hindsight it's quite hilarious, but I legitimately thought I was going to die-"
    "Fenrys." Celaena gave him a scathing glare, and he laughed nervously.
    He put his hand to his mouth and turned to Sam as if he was going to whisper a secret, but instead said in a rather loud (if perhaps hoarse) voice: "she's being rather rude, dontya think?"
    Celaena groaned, rubbing her hand down her face. "I'll stop being rude if you stop antagonizing Rowan."
    "But where's the fun in that?" He asked with a toothy grin. All Sam could do was stare at the beautiful Fae male who seemed so unbearably human.
    "I- I'm personally fine with him antagonizing Rowan," Sam stammered out. He hated how awkward the words felt.
    "See? Pretty boy's fine with it."
    He flushed red, the words seeming to stop his heart for a few seconds.
    Fuck, he needed to calm down. His mind was all scrambled, and this wasn't making it any better.
    "Fenrys, please stop flirting with my ex." Well. That did it well enough.
    He gritted his teeth, letting the word "ex" sink in. So that was what he was to her. "Sam, I didn't mean-"
    "It's fine. I'm fine. You know what? I think I'll just eat upstairs."
    "That is not an option," growled Rowan. "Eat down here or you won't eat at all."
    He scoffed, pushing out of his chair and storming out. He stopped at the doorway, however, and said, "I suppose I just won't eat, then. I've had food taken away from me by Arobynn enough that it won't be too much of a hassle. It would most likely be more taxing sitting here and listening to you talk, anyway."
    And with that he left, feeling like a child who had just thrown a tantrum, and let the aching hunger act as his punishment.

This chapter wasn't the best, but I figured I'd update on my birthday. A present from me to you, only slightly backwards.
Okay, it's about 5 days later, I kept remembering and then forgetting to actually update this on Wattpad despite having written it. Whoops.