Under Control

" Kylie." Jenna knocked on my door a few days later. " Why don't you join us for dinner? I ordered Chinese."

" I'm okay."

" Please." She pouted. " Elena's with Stefan and I'm outnumbered by Gilbert men."

Elena and Jeremy's uncle, the infamous 'Jackass John', had appeared at the door that morning and would be staying for an open-ended trip. Oh joy.

" All right."

I put up the homework I'd been doing and followed her downstairs. Sitting at the table with Jeremy, was a blond middle-aged man who eyed me warily. I had had an early shift at the grill and missed his dramatic entrance.

" Who's this?" He addressed Jenna.

" This is Kylie." She put her hand on my shoulder. " She's been staying with us for a while."

" I see."

The rest of dinner went by mostly without incident, with John hyping up the Founders' Day celebrations and Jenna making snarky quips at his expense. Jenna and I also exchanged faces behind his back, forcing Jeremy to struggle at keeping a straight face.

" I have no interest in the Founders' Day kick-off party." The younger boy admitted.

" Sure you do, it's tradition."

" Far be it for us to break tradition." Jenna huffed.

" The Gilberts have been a part of this town for 150-years, one of the founding families, and with that distinction comes certain obligations, including going to the party." John tried to enforce. " One day, when you can appreciate the significance, I'll tell you all about your heritage." If this is about the vampires...that ship has sailed.

" Hmm. The Gilbert family legacy. I forgot how sacred it was." Jenna mocked. " I'm not a Gilbert, so I was never cool enough to hear it."

" Why does she hate you?" Jeremy leaned over to ask.

" We used to sleep together."

Before I could properly choke on that piece of information, Jenna crumpled up a take out bag and threw it at his head.

" I am standing right here."

Once Jeremy had finished laughing, John decided to turn his attention more obviously towards me.

" So, Kylie, how old are you?"

" Fifteen."

" And where are you parents?"

" Dead."

" Oh." He was taken aback. " I'm sorry to hear that. Did you grow up in Mystic Falls? "

" No. I came here looking for my mother, she is dead. Jenna offered me somewhere to stay."

" Well, since you're here," he changed subjects, " why don't you go with Jeremy to the party tomorrow?"

" No thanks. I would rather be burned at the stake." I looked up to Jenna. " May I be excused?"

" Yeah, go ahead." She shooed me off.

I was finally finished with my English assignment when there was another knock at my door. To my surprise, it was Jeremy this time. We hadn't talked much but I was still annoyed with his treatment of Anna.

" You okay?" He asked.

" Yeah." I shook my head. " I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or Jenna. He was just making me really uncomfortable." I apologized, rubbing my arm.