Chapter 3

ANNABETH POV: (Back at Camp)

I wandered around the strawberry patches behind the camp, smelling the sweet aroma of freshly picked strawberries. I looked up into the sky. The sun seemed to be well on its way toward evening. It's been weeks since that incident by the beach with Marcus and Percy. Speaking of Percy, he just... disappeared. Nico did too. That day was the last time I saw him. That was the day I broke up with him and took his brother to be my boyfriend. To be true with you, I'm glad I did. So I went to talk to his brother. He was a pretty nice guy. He understood me, understood what it was like to be put to the side. We instantly hit off. The strange thing was, everyone only noticed when Thalia arrived at Camp with the Hunters.

Flashback:

"Hey Annabeth!" Someone yelled.

I turned around. It was Thalia, my age old friend and the Hunters of Artemis. Thalia and I had been friends since she and Luke found me skulking in an alley, hiding from monsters.

"Hey Thalia. What's up?" I asked

"Nothing that you'd want to know. Anyways, where's that Seaweed Brain?"

"I don't know. Probably back at his cabin. He wasn't at breakfast this morning. Might be doing some other stuff." My hands fidgeted nervously inside my pocket. I knew. Percy was gone. Marcus told me. But he made me swear not to tell anyone else.

"Then I'll just look for him." She walked off towards the Poseidon Cabin before I could stop her.

"Hey Seaweed Brain! Open up!" She shouted. No reply.

"Hey Perce! OPEN THE DOOR!" She shouted even louder than before.

Still no reply.

The without warning Thalia kicked open the door. It snapped back on its hinges and hit the wall.

Thalia looked around. She saw everything. Or rather, nothing. Everything of Percy's was gone. His wall where he normally hung the Minotaur horn was empty. His normally messy bed was unusually clean. Thalia rounded on me.

"Where is he?" she asked. "I know he's not gone for a quest because his Minotaur horn would still have been here."

"I don't know." I automatically responded. I mentally slapped myself.

"DON'T GIVE ME THAT MINOTAUR DUNG! I KNOW YOU KNOW!" A scream came from outside as lightning flashed down and fried and unfortunate camper.

Percy and Nico were the only people that could keep her under control when she's angry. So I told her. Thalia shook her head sadly. She looked at me with disappointed eyes.

"I can't believe it Annabeth. I thought he was better than that."

That's right. I lied.

End Flashback

These were the thoughts running around in my head as I wandered the fields. All of a sudden, I felt a pair of hands on my shoulder. I spun around and had my dagger's point in the offender's neck. It was Marcus. I quickly put the dagger back in its sheath and apologized.

"Don't do that. I could have easily killed you. And then who would I talk to?" I shot at him.

"Ha! I doubt you could even scratch me, the greatest warrior of this time. Hell, I was untrained and still took down a hellhound on my way here. You would do well to remember that Annabeth."

Sometimes, his huge ego really got on my nerves. But I didn't let that bother me. He understood me, so I had to understand him. After all, taking down hellhounds was no small feat. Especially untrained. I admit, Percy had taken down the Minotaur, but somehow, someway, Marcus was more comfortable to be around. I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him. He hugged me back. I sighed contentedly. It was a good afternoon.

MARCUS POV:

Everything was great here at camp. I had gotten rid of the previous "great" hero here. I was surprised at how easy it was. I knew in my goal of power I had to get rid of him. I saw the way that campers looked at him when I first arrived. He had everything that I wanted; popularity and power. He was everything I wished to be. And he was a son of Poseidon. I needed to be something as powerful as or more powerful than him. I had to be a son of Poseidon, Hades, or Zeus. That's what I needed to be to gain what I craved, power. So through the weeks, I grated on his nerves, setting him up for his biggest downfall. The perfect opportunity came later. His girlfriend came to me. I took the opportunity.

Flashback:

I was busy sharpening my sword. Currently, I was in the camp forges. I inspected the tip of the sword. Not sharp enough. I was about to sharpen it a bit more when I heard a sharp knock on the door. I looked up. It was Annabeth.

"Is there something that you needed?" I asked.

"I need to talk to you about something. Come." she replied.

I followed her outside. She led me to the beach where we sat. She poured out her worries. She told me about Percy and how she was feeling different towards him. I pretended to listen. I heard Percy walking towards the beach. Perfect. I leaned in and kissed her. She pulled away. I was afraid my plan failed. What she did next completely surprised me. She laughed and kissed me back. Inwardly I smirked. All of a sudden, I felt my stomach get blown out by a solid punch. I collapsed on the sand. I heard a bit of the exchange between Annabeth and Percy. I heard Percy storm away. Annabeth hugged me and told me she was sorry. We spent a couple more hours on the beach. When we went back to our cabins, I saw Percy's things were all gone. Excellent...

Flashback End

We ended the day with a few words, a hug, and a kiss. Nothing could have prepared us for what happened tomorrow.

We were tending to our daily chores and responsibilities when were interrupted by twelve flashes of light. The Olympians were here. Lord Zeus stepped forward. We all bowed.

"It is under the consensus of the Olympian Council that the Heroes of Olympus shall be made immortal."

There was one problem.

Percy was gone.