three

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞
nervous wreck

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞nervous wreck

ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ

𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐄, the lie she conjured up yesterday did have some truths to it. On the fourth day following the incident, Isella had received a letter from the Grand Palace— royal seal and all. It was now one in the afternoon and Isella sat at the desk space in her room to open the letter.

Greetings Miss Vozenilek,

I hope this letter finds you well. I wish to inform you that by the time you read this, a coach will be on its way to pick you up. We sincerely apologize for the short notice but this is all very necessary. With what you have witnessed, it is most crucial that we meet and discuss this matter in person. That being said, you will be staying at the palace until we get things sorted out. Further details will be discussed in person. Pack anything of importance to you, we will handle your wardrobe and the rest. When you arrive, a guard by the name of Isaak will greet you by the door and show you the way. The Grisha Triumvirate will also be present during the meeting. We are all eagerly awaiting your arrival.

With fondest regards,
Nikolai Lantsov,
Grand Duke of Udova,
King of Ravka, etc.

p.s. you were completely correct that night in the barn, I smelled horrible the next day.

And there, in the bottom left corner of the letter, was the legitimate double eagle seal. It took a while for everything to process, but once the information sunk in— Isella was terrified.

She had already been dreading this day ever since the incident. But now? She felt even worse about the whole ordeal.

He was actually awake that night? And now she was going to stay at the palace? This all had to be some twisted joke.

Speaking to the king was nerve racking enough, but infront of the Grisha Triumvirate too?

Actually kill me now.

These were the people who fought against The Darkling. And won. How is that not terrifying?

"So— when are you leaving?" Her father poked his head in the door.

"What? Oh, apparently today?...in a couple hours. They're sending people to get me." Isella jerked her head up, "Are you going to be alright?"

Dimitri Vozenilek walked closer to his daughter, this time sporting a proud look in his eyes.

"You know I'd never stop you from doing anything. And don't you dare worry about me, just go and do what they ask of you, alright? If I need help, I promise I'll ask Jerri down the street. You don't need to fuss over me anymore."