Chapter 4

| Chapter 4 |

Malik

To say that Malik's coming to Jamya is unproductive is an understatement. He has uncovered nothing about Meron and to think he left the capital city without achieving nothing makes him more angry than he usually is.

Coupled with the fact that Haroon, the Jamyan Governor, keeps shoving his daughter in his face and the fact that he hasn't seen that feisty girl since his first day makes him visibly frustrated.

No matter how much Malik wants to deny it, he knows the girl has occupied a place in his mind since she outrightly challenged him. If it was someone else who had threatened him, he wouldn't have hesitated to have them killed but she amused him and that hadn't happened in a long time — or ever.

A smile grace his face when he thought of her finding out he was indeed the Emperor not someone that knew him. But that smile quickly left his face when he remembered why he stayed away from women and love.

He decides to call his two commanders, they should have some information for him. He gestures at one of the guards stationed outside the lounging area to call Hamza and Faris for him and he bows before quickly leaving.

The lounging area is part of the palace of Haroon. It wasn't particularly big but it helped Malik relax and think. There were trees and flowers decorated nicely all around and comfortable chairs to relax in. It was like an indoor garden.

Malik didn't see the need of staying in his own palace in Jamya when he wasn't staying for long. Besides Malik hasn't set foot there since his Uncle was Emperor and he has a feeling the place isn't somewhere he'll like to spend time in without redecorating every single thing there.

His two most trusted commanders soon made their way to the lounging area and he instructed them to close the large double doors isolating the area from the rest of the palace, dismissing the countless guards situated strategically in and around the resting area.

When they come in, Malik notices two different expressions on their faces. While Hamza has a grim look on his face, Faris has a hard time holding back his smile. It has always been this way between the two. With Hamza being the unsmiling commander and Faris being the ever cheerful one.

Malik starts off by asking Hamza to tell him what he has for him.

"Your Imperial Majesty," he starts and Malik notes how he uses the word imperial. He must have bad news. "The council are suggesting you return to the capital city and forget about Meron. They support their decision by reminding you that the walled city has not been able to be defeated by 23 armies."

"As the head of the council, shouldn't I have known about this first?" Faris asks but the look on Malik's face shuts him up.

"Who are they to question the decision of their Emperor?" Malik asks and none of them answer. "I have single handedly captured all of the Seven greatest Empires of the world, and they doubt my ability to capture the only remaining one — one that has long since fallen since its glory days?"

They still refuse to look him in the face or answer his rhetorical questions. They know not to interrupt him when he gets angry. The council are pushing their luck.

"When I ask a question, I expect to be answered, Commander," he says to Hamza.

Hamza though not being scared of anyone lets out a breath before answering, "Your Imperial Majesty, you have to understand where they're coming from. Capturing Meron would mean diverting human resources that this Empire cannot afford. It is the largest empire in the world and we need those resources for extra protection in certain areas."