Hurry Up

Amy used her personal time off to be at the hospital. Most of the time she sat curled up in a ball. She wore his badge around her neck and ran her fingers over it. Her other hand held Jake's tightly. Exactly one month after the accident it happened. Jake woke up.

It was 6:00 am. Amy had fallen asleep, but she still held his hand tightly. She was wearing a pair of black leggings, a scoop neck sweater and a pair of combat boots. Jake's eyes fluttered open. "What? Where am I?" He looked around the room with his eyes. He noticed the heart monitor and opened his eyes fully. He noticed something on his hand so he looked down, to find his partner asleep on his hand. "Amy?" He lifted his free hand and pulled his oxygen mask down to his chin. "Amy." His voice was dry and painful.

Amy's head snapped up immediately. "Jake." She leaned forward and pressed a call button. When she came back into view she was crying. Jake was even more confused. "Jake. You woke up," she said, with a soft smile. She was still crying.

Jake cleared his throat. "Wh-what happened?"

"Jake you were in a car accident. You've been in a coma for a month."

Jake's eyes widened. He seemed to be in shock for a moment. Amy was relieved to hear Jake's next words. "How's my car?"

Amy laughed through her tears. "It was completely totaled. The mechanics wanted to scrap it, but I wouldn't let them. I told them you would need it when you woke up. It's in storage now." She squeezed his hand again.

The doctor came in and examined Jake. Amy left the room to call the station. "I have to call the nine-nine. I'll be right back," she smiled. She paused before leaving, and then kissed him lightly on the forehead. Jake smiled softly to himself as he watched Amy leave the room.