Dark nights

I was sat on my bed re-reading the messages to make sure it actually happened and I weren't just dreaming. When realisation finally hits me I just up from my bed and scream excitedly, my brain couldn't comprehend what had happened. I'd been such a big fan of Halsey for the longest time and for her to message me I was beyond stunned. I hear footsteps coming down to my room and when Ford was leant on my doorway I stopped squealing.

"You've been screaming for the past 5 minutes" He states blandly.

"Ford, Halsey messaged me. Halsey!" I shout jumping up and down.

"Look you better calm down, remember tonight I'm having Ruel, Harrison and Dylan over. I swear Sage if you and Valentina do anything embarrassing I will end you" he says walking towards me.

"Okay, but I'm having the kitchen you can have the living room" I tell him.

"Why can't you just stay down here?" He asks getting frustrated.

"Because it's my house too, plus the kitchen is a social area" I say laughing internally at myself.

"Whatever Sage" he groans making his way back to the stairs.

When he's gone I change into a pair of high waisted straight cut jeans with a butterfly tie front top and a bunch of gold jewellery. I curl my hair and let it fall messily down my back, I then slip on a pair of custom lilac airforces and I head upstairs to see if Valentina is here yet.

When I get into the kitchen I see her leant against the counter talking to Ford with some black denim shorts on and a red tie front top. When I close the door at the top of the steps the both look at me and Ford rolls his eyes and walks into the living room. Valentina's eyes trail along my body and she smirks.

"You look hot" she smiles walking towards me.

"So do you" I tell her and pull her into a hug.

"Coco isn't coming today, she said Ruel wouldn't let her so it's just us two flying solo" she sighs as she pulls away.

I hop onto the counter and sigh myself. Stupid Ruel. I'd met Coco once when Valentina showed me round and we stopped for like 5 seconds to talk to her. I found myself gloating over the fact that Coco couldn't come most of the night. It was around 9pm now and all of Ford friends were here and in the kitchen with us because they were all drinking.

"So don't you drink?" Harrison asks me.

"Nope, I don't like the feeling" I shrug.

"Your like this old man, he has two drinks and calls it a night" he says grabbing Ruel and putting him into a head lock.

"If your trying to impress her Harrison it won't work" Ford slurs.

"No she's just not into arseholes" Valentina groans rolling her eyes.

"Well what is your type then Adelaide?" Dylan asks.

"It depends" I say subconsciously letting my eyes explore Ruel.

He notices this and I look away quickly and get back to the conversation. Out of the corner of my eyes I could see him smirking into his beer bottle but I ignored it.

"Depends on what?" Dylan pushes.

"Wether your an arsehole or not" I shrug taking a sip of my lemonade.

When the conversation resumes back to everyone chatting and laughing, someone puts on music and I take it as my queue to escape out the back door to get some fresh air. Immediately the sound of wave rolling onto the beach fills my ears. The winds was warm and the air was much lighter than inside. The sun had just set and the lights from houses reflected on my face lighting it up.

"How do you cope, Ford is exhausting" Valentina says from behind me.

"He's existed in my life for 17 years you just get used to it" I chuckle.

"How come you moved out here anyway?" She asks stepping beside me.

"My mother works for a law firm, she used to travel here a lot from the Uk so she decided it'd be best to move out here. She's in LA at the minute" I tell her.

"So your parents are like loaded?" She asks.

"My mums is, my dad drives lorries. I have no idea where he is or what he's doing" I laugh.

"When do they get back?" She asks.

"I don't know, Ford has all that information" I sigh.

"I'm gonna go back in, just come back in when your ready" she smiles and the. Heads inside.

The silence filled me and I was left questioning, why? I had questions but I also had no idea what them questions were. I had answers but I didn't know what the questions were. I found myself stood in a hole and I wanted to dig myself out but I couldn't because I was scared, because what if I didn't want the answer just yet.

Is this what it feels like to be naive?

"If you think any harder your head will explode" a deep voice from behind me causes me to jump.

I turn round to see Ruel walking towards me his height threatening to intimidate me the closer he gets. When he's beside me he looks out to the darkness but I find myself watching him carefully analysing his posture and assuming his feelings. When I look out into the darkness I feel his eyes on me watching me. Like we are both doing the same thing playing a guessing game without even asking any questions.

"Halsey huh" he says softly.

"Yep, Halsey" I repeat avoiding looking at him.

"That's big shots kid" he chuckles and I swear I swoon.

"Yeah, I know she offered to mentor me but music isn't my thing" I tell him.

"She offered to mentor you?" He says in disbelief.

"Yeah, I just music's a scary industry I don't want to walk in completely blind and offend people that have been doing it for years" I sigh.

"It's impossible to offend people in the music industry green, it's you against everyone who charts but if you sing from the heart people will always relate" he reassures me.

"Says the person who has millions of followers" I roll my eyes.

"I don't have millions, just one" he jokes.

"Still way more than I have, poetry is a whole different ball game to music" I explain.

"It's not that much different besides your poetry sounds like songs" he tells me.

"You read my book?" I ask looking up at him.

"Audiobook, on my last tour I listened to it while I was travelling between places" he shrugs.

"Oi, you coming back in?" Harrison asks Ruel and he nods.

He walks back inside leaving me confused and slightly more confident that before.