Chapter 1

"Good morning Aislinn," my best friend, Brea said. We all call her B. Today she was wearing her regular brown hoodie and mom jeans.

"Goodmorning!" I say a little louder than I meant.

I get up and get dressed as she's mumbling about something. I can't really hear her. I put on my regular flower dress because it's light, unlike some other clothes.

As I walk down the stairs, my brother comes down. "Hey Ais," my brother says slowly.

"Hello Aero," I say as I give him the worst look. He is so annoying.

Sometimes Aero will come downstairs or come into my class and start yelling embarrassing things or dancing.

"Wait oh my God," I say. Tomorrow is the day we all go out in front of the court and they decide who's gonna be royalty. If you're not royalty you either get the color red or blue. Red is dangerous and blue is safe.

"Yep, tomorrow is the day," Aero says. I lunge at him and want to strike him in the nose but Brea holds me back.

"It's not time for your little fight, we got to get to school," Brea says as she drags me along with her. I grab my backpack right as she pulls me out the door.

"Thank you, I would've gotten in so much trouble if I had punched him," I say.

" Your welcome, but now I want to talk about tomorrow," Brea says. "No matter what happens, we can still be best friends, right? Because I can't lose my best friend."

"Oh my gosh. B, I would never leave you," I say as I give her a huge hug. 

"I love you, Ais," Brea says slowly into my ear. I am surprised. She has said this before but this time she said it differently. I don't know how to react so I sit there in silence for what feels like forever. 

We slowly separate our hug because we have to go to school. I look at her and whisper, "I love you too B."

She smiles and turns and walks away. I follow her wondering if my delay to say it back made her upset. 

"Hey B, I'm sorry," I say and embrace her in a hug again. What are these feelings in my heart? 

"It's fine, Ais. I just wish you understood," Brea said in a sad voice. I look at her in a confused way and she just nods back. She turns away from me and keeps walking. I think she's crying. I decide to leave her alone because I don't want to make it worse. 

As we walk into school, I get high-fives from my other friends but all I can think about is Brea. I want to hug her again.