Switching Teams - Chapter Eleven

A N N I E

I sat next to Stiles in Sheriff's office, rubbing my head, trying to relieve some of the pressure that has been building up inside me since I first found out about the supernatural. I really just need a vacation. So much news was hitting me at once, it was a lot to handle. I wanted to faint.

Apparently, Lydia, two nights ago, used her Banshee abilities to decipher the code to unlock a hit list of supernatural creatures. A dead pool. With all of our names on it... Well, not mine. I'm not a supernatural creature, but all my friends are on it, so I might as well be.

"So, the Walcott's were first. At least the first that we know about." Stiles launched into his explanation to my dad who stood a few feet away from me. "Four murders. Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin called The Mute. Weapon of choice, a military tomahawk. But then The Mute was killed by Peter when he tried to kill Derek with a Claymore mine. Next was Demarco." I thought about the guy Scott had found outside of the lake house, his head removed from his body. I cringed. "He delivered a keg to the party at Lydia's lake house. And got decapitated outside of his car."

My dad looked at Scott, who leaned straightly on Sheriff's desk. Scott looked flustered, and I wouldn't blame him if he was. "Does the scent tell you anything?" My dad asked.

Scott nodded, "Definitely a werewolf. But there's more. I think he was a part of a pack."

My dad sighed, shrugging his shoulders, "Well, if he does, they'll come looking for him."

"And then last night," Stiles continued, "23-year old, Carrie Hudson."

Stiles pointed to her name on the list, along with Demarco's and several others. "It's a dead pool," Scott explained. "A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it. The rest has to be decoded."

Sheriff sat up in his desk chair, "Who found this?"

"Lydia," Stiles nodded.

"How?"

"She wrote it," Stiles said. "Actually, she transcribed it, without realizing it."

Sheriff raised an eyebrow, "Banshee?"

"Banshee." I nodded.

"Beautiful," Sheriff said sarcastically. "Alright, what are these numbers next to the names?"

"We're getting to that." Stiles responded, "First, you need to know that the code was broken by a cipher key."

"Wait, you mean like a--like a key word?" Sheriff shook his head.

"It's actually a name," Stiles popped his knuckles.

I sighed, "Allison."

"Her name broke a third of the list," Stiles continued.

Scott nodded, "And we think there's two other cipher keys."

"Which will give us the rest of the names." Sheriff said, understanding the story. "Okay, so, how do we get the cipher keys?"

"The same way we got to code," I sighed. "Lydia."

"She's been at the lake house all weekend trying to figure out the other two key words." Scott said.

Sheriff nodded, "You didn't know about Demarco or Carrie?" Scott shook his head. "Hmm. What about these other two names on the list? Uh, Kayleen Bettcher and Elias Town. Are they werewolves too?"

"I don't know," Scott shook his head. "But Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here."

"Here being Beacon Hills, or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000." Sheriff raised his eyebrows.