eight; lying snake.

——————————

"so what can you cook?" hermione asked as she folded her legs, absentmindedly smoothing down her skirt. anthony sat to her side, eyes staring emptily at the wall. he was probably zoning out, thinking about whatever manga he found interest in right now.

professor dumbledore had requested them, as head girl and boy, to conduct the club ambassador interviews. or, at the very least, narrow the list down until they had a select few the teachers could decide from themselves. hermione wondered why the job was thrust onto them instead of a professor to begin with (perhaps sprout or flitwick - merlin knew how unresponsive and cruel snape would be during the process) but she kept her questions at a low. after wrangling anthony to help her for once (maybe some blackmail was involved) (but he really should be careful about leaving certain types of mangas lying around their common room) so it wasn't really her fault. the opportunity arose, she was tired to the bone and didn't want to do everything herself for once.

it seemed like her efforts were for nought though. anthony barely added anything to the interviews, neville was too shy to speak up (unless he knew the candidate) and luna was doing - whatever she did in that elusive notebook of hers. once again, hermione felt like the only person in the room who actually cared about the ongoings of the school. at this point, she was beginning to think she was the only person in the damn castle who did.

(should've taken that offer).

hermione shook her head. forcing the wayward thought out of her head, she focussed back into the conversation. lavender brown sat before her, bleached blonde girls twisted in tight ringlets that stood out against her brown skin. her hazel eyes usually seemed vacant and her conversation topics insipid, but now she looked passionate and excited.

"plenty of things," lavender said as she shuffled forward on the chair, her legs practically shaking with excitement. "i can do breakfast foods - full english, pancakes, waffles and about ten different ways to cook eggs. including souffle omelettes. or some dinner stuff, like roasts and pies. but my favourite thing to do is bake. i can make all kinds of desserts from all around the world - europe, asia, america... you name it, really."

hermione smiled at her, writing her notes without looking at the paper. "that sounds fantastic, lavender. you know there will be a set recipe every week, right? mainly easier things for now."

"yeah, i know. but i don't mind it really," she said, shrugging a shoulder. "i plan to do some culinary work before opening up my own restaurant in the future, you see. and i've heard you can put these clubs on cv's and stuff, so that's why i really want to do this. i think employers will like to see it."

"i'm sure they will," hermione said, clicking the nub of her ballpoint. she ignored the way lavender's hazel eyes lingered on the pen as she placed that and the notebook on the table in front of her. "well, we did ask if you could bring in some samples for us to see. do you have any?"

lavender nodded quickly. she lifted up a box from her lap, opening the lid and sliding it over. hermione looked in and her mouth watered at the sight of the tarts, cupcakes and other tiny desserts inside, her fingers itching to grab one. being the daughter of dentists who were hyperconscious about cavities and fillings meant a measured amount of sweet treats in her childhood, which led to a borderline unhealthy indulgence now that she was away from them.

anthony's attention suddenly clicked in at the sight of the treats. hermione was tempted to hex him for it but let it slide as lavender basically thrummed in her seat with nerves and excitement. deciding to break the tension, hermione nodded evenly as she pointed at a tart. "they all look stunning. mind if i try one?"