51

the end of everything

"WHY WOULD KLAUS GIVE CAROLINE AND TYLER UP TO YOU?" Alaric questioned Athena as he followed her through the woods towards the ruins, his brows furrowed in confusion.

Athena rolled her shoulders back, keeping her gaze forward so Alaric couldn't see her hesitation. "Maybe he was feeling gratuitous, I didn't linger long."

Alaric eyes her warily as they come to a stop outside of the tomb. "Are you sure he's not–" Alaric's words stop abruptly and Athena snaps around, her dark eyes widening when she sees an unfamiliar man standing before her, his hand outstretched in Alaric's direction.

The history teacher grunts, his hands scrambling up at his throat as he struggles to breathe around the invisible fist wrapped around his throat.

Athena swings her arm out, a dagger appearing in her hand that she points at the witch. "Klaus sent us here, there's no need to fight,"

The witch chuckles. "You expect me to believe Klaus gave them up?"

"Sorry the message wasn't passed on, asshole," Athena grits her teeth, taking a few wide steps away from the man glaring at her. "Let him go and you can live."

"Not gonna happen, sweetheart,"

She grunts in disgust, swiping her arm out and letting go of the dagger, watching it lodge itself into his throat with ease. The witch falls to his knees, his hands grasping at his neck as blood spurts out of his neck.

Alaric took in a greedy breath, his eyes full of gratitude as he took in air fast enough to make him lightheaded. Athena nods silently, her eyes shifting out across the woods. Brows furrowing, she feels something tweak at her senses and she holds a hand up to Alaric, halting his movements.

"What?"

"There's someone else," Athena looks out, eyes narrowing as she looks between the trees and along the property lines.

Before Alaric can question her, a bullet soars through the air and Athena turns her head just as it brushes through her dark hair. She watches in disbelief as the wooden bullet sails by, her eyes snapping to the blond boy standing a few feet away from them. "What the hell was that, Matt?"

"You're a vampire, aren't you? All of you," Matt shakes his head, a crazed look in his eyes. "And Stefan and Damon, they killed Vicki."

Athena grits her teeth and shakes her head. "They didn't kill Vicki, Matt. Vicki died from an animal attack–"

"Bullshit!" He calls, faces turning red with rage. "I've been taking vervain, Athena. Caroline's compulsion hasn't worked on me."

Her eyes widen and she inhales sharply, still eyeing down the barrel of his gun. "I'm trying to save Caroline's life right now, Matt, and I can't do that when you're shooting at me. Just let Alaric explain everything to you while I–"