Black Coffee

Johnny leaned against the counter, staring out at the door. It was a boring day at the coffee shop as usual. He would just give customers their coffee and get ranted at by middle-aged women about how their coffee was too hot.

It wasn't his fault that the coffee was too warm ; the machine there was acting up.

He narrowed his eyes at the door, watching as he expectantly waited for a certain somebody to come.

It had been quite a while, and he didn't come there at the time he usually did.

Johnny bit his lip and got back to work, making multiple cups of iced coffee for a group of teenage girls, wearing oversized t-shirts and shorts, giggling at nearly everything.

There was something about the way they giggled that set Johnny's teeth on edge. It was almost a relief when they left the shop.

The sound of the doorbells chimed again as Johnny looked at it reluctantly, expecting it to be another boring customer.

He perked up excitedly when he saw who it was.

Nick. Straight, black hair and heavy black boots, it was him again.

Johnny shrugged it off, acting casual. He was just another customer, although there was something about him that just stood out.

Ever since he had first set foot into the coffee shop, he was all Johnny could keep his attention on. Whatever it was, Johnny just could never wait for him to come to the coffee shop. It made the patheticness of the whole place decrease.

It was only a problem that he had a boyfriend.

Heck, from the few times he walked into the store with the fucker, Johnny wanted to commit arson. It was obvious that the Robert-Smith wannabe was a piece of trash, judging from how Nick would always appear nervous and dead around him.

He was bad for him. But there wasn't any way that he could make Nick see that.

Johnny walked up to the table in the corner of the room, which was where Nick always sat. "Hey, how has your day been?" he said casually, his eyes on Nick's pale grey Slipknot shirt.

"fine," he replied, shortly and quietly.

Johnny flinched. There was clearly something wrong. He never acted like this before.

He attempted to make eye contact with him, but Nick kept on dodging his eyes nervously like there was something he was trying to hide.

"So uh... What can I get you?" Johnny asked, watching Nick's fingers fidget with his fingerless skeleton gloves. It was an observation of Johnny's that that was a tick that would happen if he became anxious.

Especially when he was around him.

"Just the usual coffee" Nick whispered, suddenly looking Johnny in the face. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" Johnny asked.

"Uhm, never mind," Nick said.

"Alright then" Johnny walked off and began to make the coffee, with a thousand thoughts rushing through his head.

What did he do this time?

It always pissed Johnny off that he had to refer to it as 'this time. It shouldn't have happened at all. He didn't know why he had to even look in that moron's direction.

Slyly, Johnny slid a sugar cube into the coffee, turning his head to see if Nick was looking. Black coffee was awful, and he could at least make it a little better. It was very weird how he would drink it sugarless without any hesitation.