7: Flame & Snow

/One Year Ago/

There was something oddly intriguing about this man with flaming hair that enticed you as you continued to follow close behind him up the ol' mountain trail. 

His flame-patterned haori flowed gracefully behind him in the wind with every movement he made as he continued to walk around aimlessly, as if looking for something. 

Meanwhile, you quietly followed behind him, timing your steps in sync with his own. Even up close, you couldn't help but admire how strangely beautiful he was as you examined him from head to toe, taking note of his long, bright blond hair with red streaks that reminded you of a fire's flame. 

Almost like a child, you were curious to know exactly how he even got it to look like that.

It couldn't possibly be natural.

Ironically, it really did suit him. Out of all the men you'd encountered, Rengoku was definitely the most attractive.

You were so caught up in your thoughts that you almost failed to notice that he had stopped walking.

"Perhaps the Yukionna doesn't exist?" You heard him mumble to himself.

'The Yukionna? Wait!? Had he been looking for me this whole time?!'' You inwardly thought as you stared at his back, wide-eyed.

You'd heard him let out a soft sigh, sounding as though he was disappointed.

"What a shame, and here I thought I'd get the chance to see a pretty girl." He mumbled again.

Pretty? He thought you were pretty!? Ironic, since he hadn't seen or met you yet.

Then it dawned on you!

Crap! He must've heard those silly rumors from the villagers. No wonder he'd come all the way up here!

To be fair, you'd thought he was headed towards the temple as you'd closed your eyes and breathed a sigh of relief, relieved that he wasn't seeking to take the trials.

Once you'd glanced back at him, you nearly jumped out of your skin, seeing that he was now looking straight at you!

You hadn't been paying attention, and now you'd been caught as you both stared at each other wide-eyed.

Your mouth felt dry like cotton, and it felt like your kimono was on fire despite it being cold outside. The longer he stared at you,.

'What was he going to do?' You mentally thought that his lingering was starting to make you feel paranoid, if not uncomfortable.

There was something gleaming in his eyes that you couldn't quite make out, but nonetheless, you were beginning to get nervous.

'What if he thinks I'm some sort of demonic or malevolent spirit (however those rumors depict me) and was going to slay me?' You sweated.

After several minutes of staring each other down, the flame-haired demon slayer finally made a move, as he'd slowly taken a step towards you.