Karlo Young

Karlo never seen himself as anything special

Karlo never seen himself as anything special. Graduating with average grades, worked a couple of average jobs, heck the most exciting thing he's ever done was buy some food without checking his bank account to see if he had enough. 

So when he told his parents he was going to be living in Japan while attending one of the art colleges based around Tokyo, to say they were surprised was an understatement. Sure they both were aware that he held a fascination with Japan since he was a child but they never thought it would be enough to want to live their. Yet, the Youngs pride themselves with being supportive parents from accepting their son's troubles with mental health to even looking past their beliefs to support him when he came out as Pansexual, they always made sure to love their son no matter what.

So when it came time to send him off, they did so with a smile despite wanting to yell out and plead for him to remain home. 

"Remember to call us everyday," Karlo's mom told him as she held him while tears rolled down her cheeks. 

"I will mama," Karlo replied softly as he returned her hug with his own tears shining in his eyes. 
God he hated when his mom cried, he was positive if he hadn't already bought the ticket he would have just tried to go to college closer to home. 

"Remember to be cautious while you are their. Some people don't take kindly to people like us," Karlo's father told him with a sad look on his face. He hated the thought that his son was going to be somewhere he couldn't protect him if something happens. Being a retired Navy Seal he always prided himself with being able to protect his family from those that try to harm them.

Having faced discrimination with being a white man married to a black woman, with a black step son, with another on the way, he became more aware of the struggle other races have when dealing with the opposite race. So the fact that his son may have to deal with such a thing without him around filled him with worry.

"I promise to be careful pops," Karlo said with a smile as he pulled away from his mother to hug his papa who returned the hug instantly. 

"Good. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything. Money, support, or just wanting to comeback home, do not hesitate to call," Mr. Young told his son before pulling away as the final call to board the plane sounded.

With one last goodbye Karlo quickly made his way over towards the line leading to his plane.

"Come on you can do this," Karlo mumbled softly as he tightened his grip on his luggage as his anxiety kicked in since he had a slight fear of flying.
"I mean you made it this far you can keep going," Karlo continued to silently hype himself up as he gave a nod of respect to one of the flight attendants before completely boarding the plane and finding his seat. 

Once he was in his seat he quickly closed his eyes while his heart began to race. 
'Come on man, you can do this! Chill out!' He shouted at himself as he felt his anxiety reach an all time high.

"Hey, hey take deep breaths," a voiced called out startling him. 

Snapping his eyes open he was greeted with a woman with dark skin and dark brown hair. 

"Come on now, follow me," she continued while taking deep breaths before releasing it, which lead to Karlo attempt to do the same. After about a few minutes they were finally able to get his breathing under control which Karlo being thankful for.

"T...Thank you," Karlo forced out as he continued to take deep breaths to help slow down his racing heart.

"No problem, now do you need anything to drink?" The kind woman asked causing Karlo to nod his head. 

"Okay, let me call someone over," she told him before calling a flight attendant over and asking for a bottle of water before turning her attention back to Karlo with motherly smile.

"You're going to be just fine."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you again," Karlo mumbled shyly while offering the kind woman now named Mari a smile. The two managed to bond during the flight with Mari managing to make sure that Karlo's fear of flying doesn't cause him to go into another panic attack which he was grateful for. 

"No problem, I hope you enjoy your stay here in Tokyo," Mari replied with a smile of her own. 

Sadly all good things must come to an end.