Drunken Knight

I need something... 

Lafayette's multiple times trying to write to the queen usually ended when he picked up his pencil. He tried getting his ideas together by taking strolls around the palace and attending banquets, but nothing worked.

And he became desperate, yearning to write a letter he couldn't.

The next thing he knew he was at a pub at the dead of night with very little costumers. He went to the bar and ordered himself a whiskey. The bartender looked at him oddly, probably because he was still in formal attire. "Take a seat over there." The man wiped a glass clean and Lafayette went to the small table in the corner.

He sat and ran his hands over his face, the darkness behind his eyelids reminding him of his thoughts towards the queen. So many- A glass half full with a warm orange hue snapped him from his day dream.

"Everything alright bud?" The tender leaned on the table, his arms crossed. "This is the 4th time this week you came here..."

"It's best to not speak about my thoughts..." He gave a hard eye to him. The tender rose his hands and looked at the ground.

"Sorry, just making sure my customer is doing fine." He walked away and went back to the bar.

Lafayette took the glass in his hand and downed it in seconds, feeling the sweet liquor soothe the back of his throat. He lowered his empty glass, his hand still on it. He felt his stomach warm from the drink and his worrisome emotions died down a little. That's a little better...He sat quietly, hearing moths fly around the few gas lamps the pub had.

Soon his worries returned and he waved at the tender, who then refilled his cup.

*

He repeated himself until they didn't come back.

He lost count at how many drinks he had and the tender kept giving him a worry look. "Sir, perhaps you should take a small break." The tender's voice seemed gentle and not goof-like. Lafayette blinked slowly as the tender placed down a cup of water. Lafayette sighed.

"Do you...do you have a paper and *hic* pencil?" The other man stared at him, taken aback from the sudden question and hiccup.

"I have a whole notebook sir." The man went to the bar and pulled out a rough looking notebook, looking to be used for orders during busy hours. "Please suit yourself." He put the book in front of Lafayette and moved the water away from the book, just in case it spilled.

Lafayette stared at the book, thinking. I came here to write in peace...but the worry He couldn't really recall 'what' he was worried about, but he knew he had to get rid of it somehow.

He also knew he wanted to write to Marie.

He picked up the pencil and honestly felt himself freeze. Marie is her majesty... He felt his goal suddenly lose it's courage. He reluctantly rose his hand and he heard the tender sigh.

"Alright." The man gave in and poured another glass. "Suit yourself."

Lafayette downed another whiskey and stared at the paper, his eyes focusing in and out. He wasn't sure how he managed to write with his vision or with his somewhat present mind. As soon as the word left his head he wasn't sure if he was writing a sentence or a single letter. He knew he kept messing up or kept writing the wrong thing, causing him to crumple up the note and toss it to the side and each time he called for another drink.

At some point he signed with his more comfortable title: Gilbert.

That's when he knew he was not all there.