Dark Wine

Disclaimer: I own nothing except the events that take place, and Barok van Zieks and all other Ace Attorney characters belong to CAPCOM. <3

In the silence of the stormy, Victorian winter night, (Y/N) (Y/L/N) sat alone at his/her desk, fiddling idly with one of the many ink bottles that sat there. The light from the lantern illuminated his/her face. The only other light was from the fireplace, and the occasional flashes of lightning from outside. He/She let out a long, heartfelt sight, and absent-mindedly gazed out the window.

It would seem, that (Y/N) was so deep in thought, that he/she failed to notice the presence of the man who just entered the room, holding a strongly lit lantern, close to his face. "(Y/L/N)?" He asked, his low, calm voice startling the young assistant with ink-smudged fingers.

"M-Mister van Zieks! You've returned... How did your investigation go?" The young boy/girl asked, with a rather fast-beating heart.

"The investigation went well. The Yard, however, has yet to uncover any decisive evidence... What are you doing awake at this hour, (Y/L/N)?" The tall prosecutor asked, setting the lantern atop his own neatly organized desk. "Ah, i-it's nothing, really. I simply could not fall asleep, sir." (Y/N) replied, averting his/her gaze. When he/she looked once more into the eyes of the much-feared prosecutor, he/she saw... fatigue.

As (Y/N) opened his/her mouth to inquire the reason behind the furrowed brows of the man, or the fatigue in his eyes, van Zieks shook his head.

"Perhaps some wine will help take your mind off your troubles for a while, the same way it helps me." He said, his voice and expression calm and collected as ever, yet his eyes were softer than (Y/N) had ever witnessed before.

He/She widened his/her eyes, and said, "R-really, Mister van Zieks?" But the only reply he/she received was a silent nod, and the chinkling of two wine glasses, along with the sound of liquid pouring.

In no time, the two occupants of the room were sitting in front of each other, with but a small table between them. The table held a large bottle of wine, dating back to 1675, and one crystal glass half-filled with the intoxicating liquid. (Y/N) was staring intently at the glass, dare I say, perhaps even glaring at it, along with the fringed tablecloth that swayed in the cold gushes of wind that swished about the room.

Barok van Zieks looked absolutely unfazed. "Blood taints the dainty streets of London, in the same way those smudges of black ink taint the dainty crystal chalice."

He said, his deep, warm voice once more surprised the assistant before him. Whatever has happened to Prosecutor van Zieks? Thought he/she.

"(Y/L/N). Something's troubling you, is it not? Might I question your tense face and silent demeanour?"

"Ah, y-yes, indeed, I shall say, indubitably!" (Y/N) said, still in a bit of shock. "You need not be so modest, (Y/L/N). And please refrain from speaking like Detective Holmes. I've had more than enough of his Great Deductions and Theatre of Logic and Reason. Besides that, you may speak to me about your troubles. I'm willing to hear your part."

Something is indeed wrong here. Thought (Y/N). "Well... Mr. van Zieks... you see..." But before he/she could finish his/her sentence, he/she was cut off by the older male. "Please, Barok will do, for tonight, at least. If you are to open your heart to me, it is only logical that you drop the honorific."

"Y-yes, certainly. Well... you see... It just so happens that I'm quite tired of this. I feel as if no one truly understands what I'm trying to express. Or perhaps it's just how I speak, perhaps it's incomprehensible." (Y/N) said, closing his/her eyes.

Van Zieks shook his head. "That's a profoundly stupid suggestion, (Y/L/N). I find it hard to believe you're unable to express yourself."

"A-Ah, I see. Well, anyway. You see... I wish there was someone who'd understand me. That is why, I've tried to socialize before. But even when I make small talk with anyone at all, they try to escape as soon as possible. I believe it is because... everyone knows that I am your legal assistant, Prosecutor van Zieks." (Y/N) said, swirling the wine around in the crystal stemware.

"I see. Is there anything else, (Y/L/N)?" The man asked, setting his now-empty glass down. "N-no, sir. That's all. I just wish there was someone who understood me. But no-one my age wants to come near me, let alone listen to my troubles." Van Zieks nodded. "Very well. (Y/L/N), you are gravely mistaken." Said he.

"H-huh? Pardon?" Asked the assistant, surprised. "Whatever do you mean by that?" "In that case, I'll be the one who understands you, (Y/N). If anything bothers you, you can come speak to me. Do you understand, (Y/N)?" Van Zieks said the last part, narrowing his eyes just a bit.

"..." Am I dreaming? (Y/N). He just called me... (Y/N). Twice. Has he gone mad? Since when? As the young boy/girl was thinking, he/she felt warm, all of a sudden. To his/her even bigger surprise, he/she was being hugged, by Barok van Zieks, the Grim Reaper of the Old Bailey, nonetheless!

"Such a young soul must not be troubled by such trifling things. You will grow old quickly, if you keep such thoughts inside you. You are to speak to me about any such matter that troubles you." The prosecutor said, his deep voice reverberating within his chest, and causing slight vibrations.

"Y-yes, I will... Mister Barok. Thank you. I shall be able to sleep well tonight." He/she said, smiling. For the first time, he/she had seen Lord Barok smile. Indeed, it seemed as if it weren't him, but an angel sent from the heavens to help (Y/N) (Y/L/N).

"Now then, you ought to sleep, (Y/L/N). Tomorrow's investigation is very crucial to this case. It is rather cold outside, and the storm hasn't died down a bit." Said Lord Barok, and placed his cape upon his favourite young assistant.

"Yes, Mister Barok. I cannot thank you enough for what you've done." (Y/N) was grinning widely, from ear to ear, happy and content that he/she had finally found a friend he/she could confide in, and even as they walked to their chambers, they knew that no matter how dangerous the streets of London might be, or how many people feared even the legal assistant of Lord Barok van Zieks, all will be well, as long as the two of them trust each other, and of course, no one will grow old, if they let out the 'trifling troubles' inside them, with all sincerity.

...

Hi everyone!!! For God knows how long... Ahahaha, please forgive meeeeee~ 

Anyway, I just wanted to say, this is a present for everyone for making it outta 2020~ I know it's late, but Good Job! Anyway, I have to go now, so see you in another story! I love you all, bye-bye!

Starlight, out.