i. prologue

1937

1937

"Паспорта и билеты, пожалуйста." A tall, blonde man commanded. Passports and tickets, please. His eyes burning into the dark ones that shielded Irina's fragile mentality.

He stood in his ticketing booth that reached his waist, the snow still being able to fall on his pale hair.

Irina's father, Igor, shoved her behind him, including his mother that Irina gripped onto like the last glass of water in a desert. "Здесь." Here.

The gatekeeper snatched the tickets from Igor. His crystal eyes inspected the tickets Igor bought last minute. "Irina Lada Smirnov?" The gatekeeper turned his gaze to the girl dressed in black.

Irina straightened in her back. The ball of tension in the middle released to every vein in her body. Horrible, the sensation was. Horrid Irina felt. "Это я." That is I.

"Karina Anna Smirnov?"

Irina spared a glance at her babushka. The elderly woman had grey hair peeking through her devilish locks that could divulge a man into hell. Raising her night-like eyebrow, she gave the gatekeeper a false smile and raised her gloved hand.

"Igor Aleksandr Smirnov?"

Igor rolled his dark eyes, ones that mirrored his daughter's. "Это я," He spat. That is I.

The gatekeeper gave them one more look."Наслаждайтесь Британией." Enjoy Britain.

Karina took better hold of Irina's hand and led the way to the train. Igor trailed behind them, carrying their only property.

As they fled Moscow, Irina couldn't stop thinking about the memories that buried their way to her heart. They weighed heavy, almost sinking Irina into her own puddle of tears.

Sunken and horrid.

She continued to allow her babushka to pull her to a seat. Irina ignored the curses the older woman muttered under her breath when she pushed past others.

Karina found an empty area, pinpointing the place where they could mourn. Mourning, sunken, and horrid.

The ringing of screams and yells still filled Irina's hearing. She'd been the one to place her mother in a mental institution.

Galinda swore to the heavens above that her daughter could multiply, that she was a strange monster sent by satan. She begged for others to believe her daughter could disappear and appear at the other end of the room. Of course, no one will believe a two-year-old could do such a thing, let alone any year old. So, Galinda went mental. She screamed prayers that no god would hear.

She attempted to hurt her daughter, kill her, release the world from the evil grip Irina held on it.

Blood, so much blood. Not Irina's but Galinda's.