The Covenant Family

1. Lizbeth Covenant

Lizbeth woke up. She called Eliza to get her breakfast. The maid hurried to obey and entered the room. She carried a silver tray of the young mistress's breakfast. Lizbeth didn't eat much. After breakfast, Eliza took the tray, and Lizbeth picked up her book and sat in her bed to read. She soon got bored. The girl loved to read. But for the first time, she got bored sitting in bed with a book in her hand. It was as if something was attracting her, and despite her illness, she got up and went down the stairs. She limped slightly. Jeremiah was just leaving the library. He looked at her in surprise, but she ignored him. Jeremiah knew that their father would not be happy because his sister was ill and should not go out alone.

But he knew that Lizbeth (as well as himself) liked to spend time alone and did not try to stop her. She hadn't even noticed him. Lizbeth Covenant went outside. She walked to a bench in the garden to read. But she had not yet arrived when she noticed a large black gate. Lizbeth saw this gate for the first time. No one had told her where she was going. But it was as if something was drawing the girl there. She opened the gate and walked on. The gate was heavy, it was difficult to climb the hill, but Lizbeth seemed to be in a trance. She soon reached the family mausoleum. She knew the Covenant family had a mausoleum, but she had never been there. There was a cemetery around the mausoleum, where the servants were buried. Lizbeth went inside. She knew that her mother, Evaline, was also resting here. Lizbeth sat inside and immediately felt at ease. There were benches in the mausoleum to pay homage to the dead. Lizbeth began to read.

She stayed there until evening. She had read more than half the book when she felt she had to go back. The girl left the mausoleum, but she vowed to return. At the mansion, she came across Jeremiah talking to Ambrose again. They were arguing about something, but Lizbeth didn't know what. She went to her room and washed. She got dressed and went to bed early. Lizbeth could not sleep. In her dreams she saw terrifying purple monsters and her dead brothers and sister. Lizbeth also heard the monks from the convent across the lake. They were long dead, but Lizbeth could hear their ghosts guarding the catacombs.
At midnight, everything stopped, but Lizbeth continued to dream of the death of her family. Eliza entered the room to check on the girl. Lizbeth closed her eyes and tried to breathe evenly. She didn't want the maid to bother her. Soon Eliza left the room. The young mistress sighed. She thought only of the mausoleum, she knew she would go there soon for eternity. The disease was incurable. But she did not know that this would not be the end. Lizbeth Covenant would not die. At least not for forever.

2. Ambrose Covenant

Someone knocked on the door. Ambrose swore. "Come on, get up, brother!" Aaron shouted through the door. "Come and get your gloves!" "Go to hell, Aaron. But before you go, give me the damn gloves!" "There is no!" said the other boy and ran. Hell, Daddy's going to kill me, Ambrose thought, rolling back the covers and running after Aaron. He bumped into his other brother, Jeremiah, and nearly swept him down the stairs. "Behave yourself!" Jeremiah shouted, but Ambrose didn't hear him. In the garden, he ran into his sister Bethany, who was planting some exotic plants in the greenhouse. "Damn you, Ambrose!" she screamed as he pushed her and she dropped the pots on her new dress.

"Yes, you too!" he shouted. He was tired of all this running. His gloves were a gift from his father and mother, Evaline, who had died in the birth of his youngest sister, Lizbeth. Joseph Covenant wanted Ambrose to be careful with his gloves. And Ambrose was not careful at all. "Aaron, you fool, they're going to punish us both!" cried Ambrose. But there was no sign of Aaron. Ambrose groaned. His brother must have entered the kitchens. He heard Bethany laugh. "What is so funny?"
"Your gloves are not with Aaron," she said. "Really? Did Jeremiah take them?"
"No, no. They're not with me. They're with someone else. The most beautiful member of the family," laughed Bethany.
"Haha. Very funny. Do you think I'll believe it? Lizzie wouldn't do such a thing." he rolled his eyes.