52

inevitable

inevitable

"GOOD MORNING, ATHENA."

The goddess smiled as she walked towards her father, their brief hug making her straighten her spine out. "Good morning, Dad,"

"Did you sleep well?" The salt-and-pepper-haired god smiled, watching his daughter gently lift the skirt of her dress so she didn't trip as they walked down the steps from the temple into the golden morning that greeted them happily.

Athena sighed slightly, eyes glimmering. "Like a baby,"

"I'm glad to hear it," He sighed, overlooking the city. The clouds were slowly disappearing, their natural fog giving way to the golden streets and marble buildings. Rays of sun poured down onto them, shining unwaveringly.

They stood at the top of the landing before the final staircase that led to the street, watching the people go by. Some bowed at their presence or waved, some shouted their praises. Some children fawned as Athena smiled at them, or if Zeus sparked a taunting bolt on his finger.

"They adore you already,"

Athena squinted slightly as her olive skin soaked in the sun that warmed her from the inside out. "It's only been a week,"

Zeus waved her off, turning to face her. "Time is irrelevant. You are adored here, Athena. This is what you were meant for from the beginning."

She bit the inside of her cheek, withholding her initial response. "I know, Dad. I'm just happy to be here in the end."

He cupped her cheek, patting it softly. "I've got to go meet someone in a minute. Take a walk through the city, and familiarize yourself with it. I think Hermes is around here somewhere, you could have a familiar face with you."

She nods again, feeling better at the idea of a familiar presence in the sea of unknown faces. "I'll see if I can find him,"

Zeus smiles, brushing her hair back and kissing the top of her head. "I'm so proud of you, Athena. You did the right thing."

"I know. It was all for the best," She smiles as he turns and walks away, carrying himself confidently back into the temple she stood before. Picking up her dress, she began to walk down the grand staircase towards the street, a smile on her face as she walked amongst the smiling civilians.

──────

Long dark hair swishes on the woman's back and Stefan's breath hitches. He already sees her face before she turns around, dark eyes wide and shining just for him. Her lips turning up into a smile when she registers that it's him.

He lifts his head hopefully as she turns around, but as quickly as it comes, her name dies in his throat and his hope falls out of his chest onto the floor, stomped on by oblivious humans in the bar.