5. Bribery And Chaperones

Dropping me off outside the manor, Kevin thought against escorting me inside. I thanked him promising to call later; he wasn't going to let this Reece situation go so easily.

Smirking at the faulty gate as the security worked to repair it, earned several irritated, cautious, and even awestruck looks. Stepping into the manor I was immediately engulfed by the familiar scent of my brother. Smothering me, he apologised close to my ear. Pushing away, I refused to melt– his betrayal had added shackles to my already bound hands and feet; it would take a lot more than a goddam apology to make things right.

My father appeared out of the lounge room, features grave and dark. Holding my shoulders he studied me, cataloguing for any injuries. Frowning he took in the attire and my current damp state. "How did you get wet?" Remaining silent, I turned my face away. Tugging on the collar of Reece's jacket, he clasped my chin– forcing me to watch him. "Who's is this?" His foreign accent became more pronounced when his words were spoken slow and deliberate.

Remaining silent again, I challenged his patience. "Dimmi." He seethed, through hooded eyes.

"You already know it's his." I spoke, low and ready for a fight. Reigning in his anger– again displaying the practiced control and discipline he maintained– he cupped my face. Placing a kiss on my forehead he took a step back, a moment of silence passed before he stalked upstairs.

"Annie-" Alex started, curving around him I ran up to my room. Drying off and changing, I laid the offending jacket on my bed. Burn it. My subconscious suggested.

"Yeah, because arsonist makes for a good case towards my well-balanced sanity." I mumbled, talking to myself, as you do. There was a brief knock on my door. Dropping my forehead against the frame I flicked the lock.

"Annie, just let me explain." Alex pleaded, giving up after a few minutes he slid a piece of paper under my door. The small gesture hit me hard. It was a reminder of our childhood; we'd often play this game of messenger– rushing from room to room sliding notes under doors for one another.

Taking the small cut-out, I read the short apology. '...I have cotton candy.' Pausing at that point I gritted my teeth. Noticing the small arrow towards the corner of the paper I flipped it over. '...all the flavours.' Cursing, I yanked my door open. Storming down the hall I beat the side of my fisted hand against his door.

Opening up instantly he gestured to the smorgasbord of flavours scattered over his king size bed. The feeling of betrayal halted my footsteps, forcing me to reconsider. "Please Annie...you know why I did what I did. I wasn't trying to hurt you or betray you. I was just...I was trying to keep you safe. I wasn't able to save mum-I can't take that risk with you." I sighed before shuffling into his room and parking myself on his bed.

Following he sat on the other side. "You do realise that thanks to you I'm going to be a fucking prisoner in this town right, big brother." His head fell.

Shuffling back onto the bed he sat with his back against the headboard. "You really think dad wouldn't have come to this decision sooner or later?" He had a point, but I'd much rather it had been later than sooner. "Ward can protect you-end of." He stated, sounding more convinced he made the right call.

"You were a child when we lost mum Alex, so stop...stop blaming yourself. I'm not your responsibility; I'm not going to follow in her footsteps-"

"You already-" he silenced abruptly leaving his sentence incomplete.

"What?"

"Nothing." He muttered, fiddling with the cotton candy packets. Another secret. I couldn't help but feel like I was always missing a huge piece of the puzzle– like missing the first half of a joke and then contemplating the punchline like a twit. Pushing a bag of flavoured sugar towards me, he pulled a knee to his chest. "I have to make it right." He breathed, pain filling his guilt-ridden gaze.