12. Testing The Ruler

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 12: Testing The Ruler

Martin was playing a dangerous game, he slept soundly next to me, half naked and contrasting compared to the shadowed sheets of his covers. While guests were present, we had to act in love, but what I saw in his mind earlier this night was a deceptive plan I knew was likely targeted at me, but how he was going to utilise it was still unknown. I couldn't see that far into his thoughts, I couldn't target his feelings the same as he can, I'm worried that's a part in accepting a bond I never wanted in the first place.

I stare at the doors to the room, escaping was out of the question, but something was urging me to get out of the room, find something called the Roman library and meet someone there. In silence, my feet walked, the door opened, I didn't feel compelled more so than someone suggesting the thought into my mind, and I move along corridors I still had yet to know. Each wall too similar, each wooden floorboard that had its own creak, it's own pattern.

That got infuriating.

Until I found the golden plate with Roman engraved and I raise a brow when I open it, revealing just who was seated reading an old script, in a chestnut robe with golden eyes that meet mine from his seat. I step inside, bowing, "Cardinal."

"No need for formality, child. How are you?" He asks me, standing from his position. I move towards him and embrace my old professor.

"Drowning." I say truthfully.

"As are most for newly mated alphas. I've heard the stories, the rumours, but I thought they were just that, rumours?" He wonders, sitting down beside me while I relax muscle and skin, looking at him before needing some sort of head rest.

I inhale deeply, "If only they were. No, it's probably all true. I didn't know elders would come to check each candidate before the tournaments?" I question, facing him now.

He sighs, lowering the book to the table, reading about flowers. Interesting.

Not, while he was an excellent professor, I'd never call him fun.

"The anger an alpha male can emanate is far too destructive for my liking. Have you heard of a flower known as the Black Dahlia? Superbly intriguing, with its intricate and poisonous qualities. Nicolai grows it in his private balcony, you should look into locating that." He says.

I still as I look at him, "What did you say?"

He raises an eyebrow, "Oh, a forget me not spell, what a boring hag your mate is? If you can even truly call him that. You do recall I have a certain insight on things. When you and the man you know as Martin, more so his middle name, consummated a rather forceful agreement in the Alexandrian library downstairs, he made you wed him. Cheeky male, but quite daft, I've removed what he tried to make you forget, you'll recall it soon enough. Hopefully before you must show your skills in front of the other elders and myself, won't that be a laugh." He chuckles. Always speaking like branches in a tree, says one thing, hence one branch, and moves on to something different enough to be a separate branch, but still part of the same tree.

Now I'm being cryptic.

All I'm saying is he's giving me information in all sorts of directions, I need to find out how they're related, "This kind of training was in your high school class of mine, lecture thirty—best to review, you'll be surprised how handy high school is. No matter your choice of words regarding prison with outside privileges but still a five year sentence." He tells me, patting my hand.