12

Much like the rest of her nights in the Little Palace, Anna slept in Aleksander's room that night, basking in the tepid climate and shades of black that suffocated all the light in the room. Everything in there felt much nicer; the bed was softer, the sheets smoother to the touch, the ceiling a concave empty night sky, unlike the one in her room that was plain red as blood. And, best of all, she was cradled in the arms of someone she loved. Loved, but maybe not yet in love with. She was certain as to how he felt about her, but was patient to trust someone else with her entire heart. After yesterday's discovery her point was only proven that there was always more to learn, a fact that made her more hesitant to confess anything to him.

He was awake when she woke, but seemingly only for minutes as he hadn't changed out of his nightclothes yet and there were faint creases from pillow marks on his face, sat next to her on the bed, reading a book. Anna had to be up and ready for breakfast by eight bells, as every other morning she ate in the dining hall, unlike Aleksander who only ate dinner in there on the rare occasion. Ade, Oni, Tuya or Klara, sometimes the group of them, always waited for her, so they could eat together, a nice tradition they'd started, and one that allowed them to catch up with each other without the premise of work - although Anna rarely had work for the girls to do, so they often just followed her around, lounged, or planned the wedding.

Anna rolled so that she was lying in a colder part of the bed, and released an undignified sound as she stretched her arms out above her. Aleksander watched, holding the place in his book with a finger. Considering the room was almost pitch black except for one lamp burning low on a bedside table, it seemed unlikely that he'd actually been reading anything, something Anna didn't feel the need to point out. They hadn't spoken much the evening before, neither of them wanting to make the first move to start the conversation about his grandfather. Anna wasn't entirely sure what she wanted to know, if there was much else to learn.

"Good morning." He said, reaching a hand into her hair and massaging her head gently.

"Good morning." She whispered back, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and consequently blurring her eyesight temporarily, preventing her seeing anything as she sat up. A box of matches was left on the table next to the bed, and in her half-blind state she grabbed around for them, wanting to light a candle so she didn't have to get dressed in the dark. Which she then realised was a futile thought, as all of her clothes, including all three Kefta, were in her room. Her old room, now. Once she grabbed the box, and managed to light a match without setting anything on fire, she removed herself from the bed, using a candle to light every lamp in the room.

When the chamber had been entirely bathed in the sputtering yellow glow of the candles, Anna could fully make out Aleksander, who was watching her contentedly, as if he'd never seen someone light a match before. She offered a gentle smile, one he returned.

"You look beautiful." He didn't break eye contact with her, leading a blush up her neck to her ears. Once again, her hair had spilled out of its braid in the night, forming rolling waves over the cream cotton nightshirt she was wearing. It was an entirely normal sight, but for him it was like seeing the sun break over the horizon after a fitful night. Seeing her stand shyly at the end of his bed, soft from sleep, was the most stunning sight he was sure he'd ever seen. Of all the women and men, all the hazy love affairs and desperate hookups, she was the one that made him catch his breath whenever he saw her, and then, she was like a breath of fresh air.

Slowly, she moved towards him and sat next to him on the edge of the bed. Her hair almost touched the bedding, and he had to refrain from twisting his hand into it and enabling something that would keep the two of them busy for a while, but he knew that she had breakfast in the dining hall that morning, and didn't want anyone to come looking for her and walk in on something.