Rise of the Retailer is a collaboration of authors J.T. Lewis and Byte

Rise of the Retailer

(Horror, Sci-Fi, Dystopian)

Copyright 2015 by Byte ™ & J.T. Lewis

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This eBook may not be sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you're reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, please return to retailer and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

This book is a work of fiction. The

names, characters, places, and incidents are products of

the writer's imagination or have been used fictitiously and

are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to

persons, living or dead, actual events, locales or

organizations is entirely coincidental.

Rise of the Retailer

It Came!

Wrapped in a manila envelope for your personal privacy, Stan Medford could feel the CD case within just like the man had claimed.

His world was about to change!

Stan’s hands shook with excitement. Should he go to work, or slough it off? This was, after all the first day of his independence…shouldn’t he just go ahead and get started?

It was only noon after all…his wife wouldn’t be home until five. He should have a good start by then. Lifting the phone, he called in to the plant, feigning sickness with a laryngitis-filled voice.

He would be there tomorrow, he promised.

No need to burn his bridges just yet.

But Stan had confidence now…a confidence born of his newfound knowledge, the secret knowledge passed down to a select group of intellectuals from an ancient Magi.

He couldn’t believe his luck!

It had been so simple!

***

Scouring the internet a week ago, he had happened across the posting while searching out something for his wife.

Flowers! He scoffed. The stupid flowers that his wife had nagged him to find for weeks had ultimately lead to the discovery that would change his life!

The words on the posting were simple…too simple…but they had stopped him in his tracks!

What is the meaning of life?

Stan had studied the post for twenty minutes. Those were the only words…it offered nothing…no get-rich-quick schemes, no promises of treasure or enlightenment…just the simple question…

What is the meaning of life?

After studying the post, he then gave some thought to the actual question.