Chapter 7- That's My Sister

"What are we, exactly? Why are we trapped in these gross bodies covered in maggots?" Dixie asked.

"We're zombies. Because we left unfinished business back at home. We're not really dead or alive," Isis explained.

"And this can open the door to back home?" Dixie pointed to the skull with the Azoth hidden inside.

"Of course! And then we can fix the mistakes we made. Unless Nebulosa catches us first," Isis said.

"What is Nebulosa like?" Dixie questioned.

"No one knows for sure. But ever since she showed up here, she calls all the shots," Isis said quietly.

"But why?" Dixie prodded.

"No one dares to challenge her. Single-minded ambition. It's her way or no way," Isis sighed.

They continued on after putting out the fire. They found shelter under a couple of rocks that made a cave. "I'm so happy you're my best friend."

Dixie smiled and pulled out Julia's old bracelet. "This'll remind us to only stick together."

"Like bread and butter. Once you spread butter on bread, the two can never separate. They stay stuck together forever," Isis added.

"Bread and butter," Dixie echoed.

They laughed and fell asleep. In the morning, they found themselves at a farm. A scarecrow stood out in a cornfield. "We'll hide out there. Let's go."

"What if the mortals find us here? You know how psycho they get when it comes to zombies? They'll chase after us with pitchforks and call us names," Isis said nervously.

"Shut up. They don't even know we're here. Let's go!" Dixie said determinedly.

They started walking toward the farm. The scarecrow opened its eyes, looking mischievously at the women. "There isn't a single soul here. It's perfect."

"Too much silence leads to violence," Isis said mysteriously.

A growl came from behind them, scaring the two of them. A woman also jumped in front of them, holding a sharp sword with a mask covering everything below her eyes. Her eyes were yellow with age, but the green shined brightly against the color. Her midnight-blue and violet hair was put up into a ponytail. She was wearing a black coat over her clothes.

"Wait. Wait, wait!" the woman stopped the man after a moment. "Sweetie, stop!"

"They're dark angels!" an Irish voice came out of the pumpkin head.

"That's my sister!" the woman retorted.

The woman dropped her sword and took off her mask, revealing herself. She looked sadly at her younger sister. Her pink lips were flaking. She had stitches on her elbow and one on her foot, barely showing by the frayed jeans. "My poor, sweet sister," Cima sighed, holding out her arms to Dixie.

Dixie cried as she hugged her sister. Cima didn't smell like rotting death; instead, she smelled like saltwater. Cima pulled away, looking at her sister sorrowly. She expected her much later, not as young as her.

"I missed you," Dixie whispered.

"I'm right here," Cima assured her. "I know this doesn't seem real, but it is. I just didn't expect you here so soon."

"Tree branch fell on me," Dixie said, wiping away the trail of tears.

"At least it wasn't painful," Cima said, making Dixie smile.

"Cima?" Isis questioned.

"Yes?" she said, looking at the mummy. "Hello, Isis. I remember you from before I fled."

"Think we should talk, don'tcha think?" The scarecrow slung an arm around Cima.

"Definitely." Cima nodded, smiling slightly.

The four of them hid in the cellar under the barn. Gonner took off his pumpkin head, revealing his face. Dixie sat down next to her sister, relieved to have her back. She could explain what was going on.

"When did you die?" Cima looked at Dixie.

"I don't know. A couple days ago, I think." Dixie shrugged.

"What're ye doing here?" the pirate asked.

"More importantly, who are you?" Isis retorted.

"Gonner." He smiled.

"And how do we know you two are not dark angels?" Isis narrowed her eyes at Cima.

"Isis!" Dixie scoffed.

"Gonner turned when he met me. As for me, I'm the one with half of the Azoth. I'm not a dark angel," Cima explained.

Isis sighed. "Fine."

"Where are you two headed?" Gonner asked.

"We're looking for Vitriol," Dixie explained with a smile.

"His cabin's in the other direction," Cima said, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

"We can take you to him," Gonner offered, looking at Cima.

"Right, nutcase. You gonna fly us there?" Isis scoffed.

Cima shook her head with a smile. She grabbed Dixie's hand, and they snuck out of the cellar. The sky turned green as they reached the river. There was a small rowboat there and Gonner smiled.

"Not fly, but sail," Gonner said.

"Zombies and water aren't a good mix." Isis frowned.

"We'll be safe," Cima assured her.

Gonner took Cima's hand, making her feel warm inside as he helped her onto the boat. Cima helped Dixie while Gonner offered to help Isis. She scoffed and got onto the boat herself, wobbling.

"When did you learn to sail?" Dixie asked her sister as they slowly went down the river.

"This one." Cima smiled, pulling his hat over his eyes as she fixed the sail with a knot. "Why don't you tell the story, Gonner?"

"I grew up alone on the sad streets of London since me crew abandoned me. I had to fend for me oneself till I got picked up by some pirates. They forced me into a life of stealing, but I never liked it," Gonner explained. "But now I have her, and I'm happier now."

"Glad to hear that, cause you're putting up with me until we pass on," Cima said, flicking his nose. "Gonner, careful!"

He let the sail go free as Cima held the steerer tightly. She narrowed her eyes as she sharply turned right and avoided the sail from breaking off. Isis sighed in relief and looked at the girl thankfully as Cima glared at Gonner.

"We could have crashed!" she said with a scowl.

"I was just having a little fun, princess. What's the harm in that?" Gonner shrugged carelessly.

"My sister and her friend are on this boat!" Cima said. She took a deep breath. "Please don't do that again when the people I care about most are on this boat."

"Aye aye, captain." Gonner smiled, making Cima roll her eyes. "Let's get some shut-eye at the cemetery."

"Yes, please."