part three

A week had passed since the gruesome bar fight and Tom was still left with a dark bruise surrounding his right eye along with another on the side of his chin and the start of his jaw. Luckily, there were no broken bones or dislocated limbs, but it was made known that he had a concussion after you forced him to go to the emergency room and get properly looked at by a doctor. As stubborn as he was, Tom tried listening to the careful instructions given for the follow-up appointments that would come, but everything went in one ear and out the other.

"We want to make sure each part of the brain that was impacted is still intact, so we want you to see this specialist and they'll run a few cognitive tests to make sure everything is okay." The doctor explained in simple terms as he scribbled the information on his prescription pad and ripped it off.

You nodded, taking the paper from him, "How much is all this?"

"It's not too costly, but insurance should cover most of it." He reassured, glancing at you before looking back at Tom's chart, "I recommend a lot of rest and time away from work for at least two to three days."

Tom quickly looked over, "I can't take off work right now. I really can't afford to do that right now."

"Mr. Holland, we want to make sure that there's no way you could injure yourself even more than now. You need to take a few rest days in order to relax and stay away from anything strenuous."

"I'm a bartender, I think I can-"

"Tom... relax, please." You retorted at him, your jaw slightly clenched.

Tom stared out the window with his side against the wall, feeling like he was miles away even though he was just across the room. You peered over at him a few times throughout the appointment, but you knew he didn't want to be here. One of the strings of his black hoodie curled around his pointer finger, pulling on the coil before letting it spring back, repeating it a few times as the doctor continued informing to you.

He'd been fixated on the results of the DNA test. It was rooted in his mind from how many times he read over it, convincing himself it wasn't true and it was a huge mistake. Doubt consumed his thoughts, wondering how he could have been so stupid to fall for the entire ruse even though Tom never regretted one moment of raising Summer. He loved her so much and would do anything to have her back, but finding out the truth made it harder for him to figure out if he should still be fighting for her.

Throughout the nights, he tossed and turned enough to wake you up, feeling his pull on the sheets. Sometimes you'd hold him from behind, curling your arms and locking them to make him feel safe. You pressed your cheek against his back, the eerily sound of his heartbeat against your ear as it quickly thudded. His thumb brushed over the top of your hand, remembering that you were still there, but when he closed his eyes, every thought crawled its way back in and cluttered his mind enough to make him want to burst into an angry fit.

After a few minutes, the doctor left you two to gather your things. Tom ran his hand over his hair as he started to walk to the door, but you blocked him from taking another step. With your arms crossed in front of your chest and your eyebrows furrowed, Tom knew that look was never good.

"Talk to me... C'mon, what's going on? What's on your mind?" You softly asked, still looking into his eyes.

Tom ran his hands down his face, a light groan leaving his lips from the frustration slowly building inside his entire body.

"I don't want to talk about it now, Y/N. Please. I'm fucking embarrassed enough." He huffed.

"Then when are you gonna talk about it?" You retorted, your eyebrows furrowed from concern, "You can't keep the weight of the world on your shoulders forever."