9. Return

I couldn't tell how long I was out

I couldn't tell how long I was out. Faint chatter slowly stirred me from my unconsciousness. The voices sounded familiar, though I couldn't make out who they belonged to. Soreness was apparent at the back of my head. I could feel my body vibrating and bouncing with no real rhythm. Was I moving? The voices started to sound more clear with each passing second. I felt a groan leave my throat and I found the strength to pry open an eye for just a second.

The night sky was above me. Clouds slowly trudging through the starry black beyond. I could feel a breeze on my face now, but my body was covered with a blanket. More sounds came to me as I stirred into consciousness. Horse hooves prancing on the ground. Am I on a wagon?

"H-hey! She's waking up!" I heard a voice call. Eren?

"Emily! Hun!" Another familiar voice called for me... Hange?

My body felt incredibly weak. Another groan escaped me as I tried to find my voice, but darkness came to me again.

———

Consciousness came to me. This time a little more clearly. I slowly opened my eyes to find myself in a dimly lit room. White sheets were draped over my body. The bed I was laying in felt oddly firm and uncomfortable. I immediately noticed how light my body felt. Most of my scout uniform was gone. My jacket and straps were gone... leaving me only with my white pants and black long sleeved shirt.

My vision was starting to clear up and I was able to see more of my surroundings. I was in an infirmary. I groaned, trying to sit up from my bed when I suddenly felt a hand press onto my shoulder, guiding me back down.

"You shouldn't move," a calm voice spoke. I turned my head to my left to see Levi sitting in a chair beside the bed I had been laid in.

"What happened?" I managed to ask, blinking a few times.

"One of those MP pigs got spooked and knocked you to your ass when you tried to play hero," he sat back, crossing his arms over his chest, "You're lucky you weren't arrested along with Erwin."

"Is Erwin-?"

"He's fine."

"And... The Female Titan...?"

Levi closed his eyes, crossing his arms a little tighter across his chest. I could see a slight underbite forming on him as his chin pushed forward. "She's in custody, if that's what you want to know."

"You don't seem too happy about it,"

"I'm not," he said dryly.

"I don't understand-"

"I'll explain later. Right now there are more important things at hand," his voice was still calm, despite appearing annoyed.