Chapter One: Life of a Hustler

(AJ in the mm)

Brent's POV

"Yo, B!" I heard. I turned around and seen a nigga I knew named Khy. I was at Columbia Heights Station waiting on the train to get to Gallery place. Gallery place is where I have my most clientele; I make the most money out there. I would've driven, but the train is a little more convenient.

"Wassup," I greeted as we dapped.

"Ain shit, coolan. You?" He said.

"You know what it is." I simply said.

"Aye, how much you gon' fuck with me for $40," He asked.

"4.5," I said.

"Bet," Khy replied, reaching into his pocket, pulling out his phone sending me $40 on Cashapp. I went into my backpack and pulled out my scale and my massive bag of weed. I weighed out 4.5 grams exactly before bagging it up and giving it to Khy. I glanced up at the monitor and seen the train said 2 minutes.

"Aye, man, thanks." He said

"Anytime," I replied

"Before I go, Can I ask you something?" He said. I gave him a side glance letting him know it better be a question worth answering.

"When you gon' put me on with your fine ass best friend, Arabella?" He asked.

"Never nigga! She's not single. And even if she was, she's off-limits." I said sternly, looking him directly in his eye, letting him know I was serious.

"You sound jealous." He smirked.

"Of what?" I said with a straight face. The train was arriving and boarding.

"Nothin man," He said, putting his hands up in surrender. "Ima see you though, B, stay safe," He said, walking away. I shook my head before stepping onto the train car. I sat down near the window and put in my AirPods. I started thinking about what Khy said. Why would him tryna go smack at AJ make me jealous?? I scoffed. He tripping. I listened to music on my Airpods while tapping lightly to the beat on my backpack, which was sitting on my lap. I nodded and bobbed my head to the music as I waited on the short train ride to come to an end.

AJ's POV

"And remember, the 9-page essay is due on Monday. I want everyone to enjoy their weekend." My professor said. I sighed deeply before getting up and walking out of the Auditorium and leaving the building and began my walk to the station. I attend Howard University majoring in law. I waited on the train to come, and I texted my boyfriend, Juan.

To: Juan ❤️ (3:37 PM)
-Hey Handsome

From: Juan ❤️ (3:38 PM)
-Hey baby, wyd?

To: Juan❤️ (3:38 PM)
- Waiting on my train bout to go home

From: Juan❤️ (3:39 PM)
- How was school?

To: Juan❤️ (3:40 PM)
-Stressful, I can't wait to get out, lol

From: Juan❤️ (3:41 PM)
- You'll be ok. Let me borrow $30. I need some gas.

I rolled my eyes. Juan never 'borrows' money. He takes it and doesn't give it back. I don't mind, but it gets frustrating sometimes. I opened the cash app before sending him $31

To: Juan ❤️ (3:42 PM)
-Get it?

I waited on a reply and got nothing. I shook my head as the lights on the platform began to blink, indicating that the train was coming. I got on the train and seen a familiar set of cornrows. I smiled to myself and walked towards Brent. He had in his AirPods and was sitting by the window vibing to himself. I sat next to him, and he tensed up before he realized it was me.