Rural Urbanites Part 5

Summary: Mal, Evie, Uma, Audrey, and Jane are revisiting the farm, this time bringing a furry addition to the group with them. Who knew that addition would end up causing more trouble than the girls got into last time? A sequel to "Urban Cowgirls" with Huma, Bal, Jaudrey, Jarlos, and family/friendship feels.

  "Mal, are you sure you can handle it?" Evie asked worriedly for what seemed like the thousandth time, and Mal nodded wholeheartedly, trying to convince Evie of her following statement.

"Evie, I'm not a child," Mal informed her practically, and Evie just pursed her lips and shook her head, gazing at her best friend with those soft brown eyes.

George had left the five there alone, and since they had found out about what they would be using to learn to defend themselves, there had been a constant ruckus. George was going to teach them how to use shotguns effectively, and each of the girls had different opinions about how that was going to go as well as how they felt about it.

Evie felt that it would be a valuable learning experience but did not like the prospect of Mal using one, Mal was excited about the idea, Uma was practically ecstatic with the possibility of learning how to use a new weapon, Jane was nervous but somewhat pleased with the idea, and Audrey was completely against it.

However, Mal and Evie hardly had time to focus on Audrey's issues because Mal was currently very emphatically trying to convince Evie that she was good to go and that she could use a gun just as well as anyone else.

"But you're small, and if it kicks, then you're going to fly onto the ground," Evie fretted, and Mal sighed deeply, unimpressed with Evie's assessment of her abilities. Mal just huffed, looking away as she unhappily considered the fact that Evie had called her short.

She immediately heard Evie sigh, and felt Evie's presence grow closer as the slightly older girl reached over and enveloped Mal in her arms. Mal resisted Evie's embrace at first, but it did not take her long to relax in it, almost against her will. She hated to give in so easily, but she definitely could not resist Evie's warm hugs. They were the best hugs in the world as far as Mal was concerned.

"I just don't want you to get hurt," Evie whispered, her chin resting on Mal's head. Mal groaned deeply.

"I'll be fine, E," Mal groaned, and Evie sighed once again, and squeezed Mal a little tighter before kissing her head softly. She then pulled away to look into Mal's eyes.

"Okay," Evie finally conceded, giving in to Mal's wants as she gazed at the girl lovingly. Mal grinned at her lopsidedly, pleased that Evie had agreed. Surprisingly, it was much easier than Mal was anticipating.

"Awesome," Mal expressed, and Evie just chuckled, enjoying Mal's happiness.

"There! See?! Evie said it was okay for Mal to do it, so would you shut up now?!" Uma cried desperately and Mal and Evie looked over to the other two girls. Uma was eyeing Audrey in pure exasperation as she stroked Jade's head gently, and Audrey's eyes were narrowed as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"I will not! Evie's just a sucker for Mal!" Audrey proclaimed accusingly, and Evie shrugged nonchalantly, not minding the name overall as she wrapped an affectionate arm around Mal's shoulders.

"I've been called worse," Evie admitted, and Audrey rolled her eyes in aggravation. However, before she could carry her fussing at Uma any further, George was coming outside with two guns on his shoulders and three of them balanced in his arms along with several boxes of ammunition. Jade's ears perked a bit at the sight of him and her tail wagged a little.