Chapter 28

Author's note: This chapter has descriptions of violence, abuse, blood. and injury. Reader discretion is advised.

P.S. Abuse is and always will be, nobody's fault but the abuser's and victims are entitled to their emotions how they see fit.

——

"I apologize for the delay. An elderly gentleman was just admitted who required my attention," Nurse Minor spoke, breaking a stunned silence that had fallen across the healing ward, a contradictory mixture of shock, horror, and blank emotion on the face of every occupant. "Would you mind if I shut this off for a moment? I have young Amity's file and would be happy to provide an overview of her condition if you'd still like," the nurse spoke calmly despite the room's tension as they ushered towards the large crystal ball at the foot of Eda's bed, the voices of a news anchors droning on.

"Yeah, of course," Eda stammered, pulled from the tide of thoughts that had flooded her mind. "Please do."

"Very well then," Nurse Minor nodded before moving to silence the device, Viney taking the opportunity to wheel Emira in closer so she could hear.

"Is... is she going to be okay?" Edric asked quietly, concern on his brow and unable to read the nurse's face.

"She is a little worse for wear," Nurse Minor explained as expressions of worry and concern grew on the faces present in the room. "I'll start off by saying, she's lost a lot of blood. While I can only guess what happened to her, what I can say is that you got her here in the nick of time. That said, she's undergone two blood transfusions but will need quite a bit of rest to let her own supply build back up. As I believe you know, she is currently back in recovery doing just that."

"Oh thank Titan," Emira breathed a sigh she had been holding in.

"And the rest of the surgery?" Luz asked, to apprehensive to be relieved quite yet.

"Unfortunately, it would seem the poor girl's ribs just cannot catch a break - excuse the pun for lack of better words. Her three previously fractured ribs were once again set back in terms of healing with several small, small stress fractures having developed around the site of the initial breaks..."

"Jesus..." Luz muttered under her breath, the furrow in her brow growing deeper.

"As far as her legs go, she's sustained several fractures in both bones in her lower legs, as well as fractures to her femurs just above her knees. Her left patella sustained one small fracture while her right is surprisingly just fine. The doctors used several healing spells to reset the bones and had to insert several metal plates with screws to reinforce the fractures magic wouldn't take to magic."

"Titian..." Edric sighed before mustering up the courage to speak. "Are there any other injuries we should be aware of?"

"Outside of a mild concussion, no. The worst of her injuries by far was the wound to her side but fortunately, we were able to get the bleeding under control and perform two blood transfusions as mentioned. Her legs and ribs will heal in time but I wouldn't expect to see her up and walking any sooner than at least 3 months time with continual healing magic."

"I see," Luz frowned, a look of exhaustion in her eyes. "So when can we..."

"I'm sorry to interrupt," a woman voice interrupted, the clinic's receptionist appearing at the healing ward's door. "Nurse Minor, you have a patient waiting in exam room 4."

"Thank you. Can you let them know I will be back shortly? I am just finishing up here," Nurse Minor smiled.

"Of course, and again, I apologize for the interruption," the receptionist smiled
meekly, slightly bowing her head as she spoke.