Do the butterflies ever run out?

"I'm back!" Rena Rouge's voice called, and Annabeth nodded at Carapace, who threw his shield at Hawkmoth and pulled Adrien away. Ladybug's version of Jason's sword clattered to the ground. Ladybug scooped it up on her way past, and threw it into the air. "Lucky Charm!"

The damage they'd caused to the Eiffel Tower was fixed as Rena blew her pipe and shouted, "Mirage!" 

Before Hawkmoth could recover, a sphere of inky blackness surrounded him, making it impossible for the villain to see where they were going. 

"No!" He roared. "Boy, you may get away but I know where your friends live! The Lahiffe boy, his reporter girlfriend and that designer wannabe!" Annabeth ignored him, running with the others to the edge. Adrien hesitated at his father's threats, but she knew that his friends were safe so she shoved the blonde boy into Ladybug's arms and they all launched themselves onto the nearest rooftops, dropping onto the streets to become less noticeable as they ran to the hotel. 

Percy stayed on the roof with Annabeth, and they found somewhere to hide before the mirage wore off. As soon as it did, Hawkmoth ran to the edge of the platform, looking frantically around to see where the heroes had gone. 

When he didn't spot them, he snarled in anger, then sagged, staring at his hands. "Oh, Emilie... What have I done?"

After a minute, Hawkmoth sighed and jumped down from the tower. Percy and Annabeth quietly scrambled down after him, and by the time they reached the bottom he'd detransformed and was walking briskly back towards his house. They followed him, slipping through the gate of the Agreste mansion and into the shadows behind him. 

"You go around that side, I'll go this way," Annabeth whispered, pointing. "See you inside!" Percy nodded and they split up, sneaking through the dark garden.

Annabeth came across a lit window quickly, and ducked against the wall as she glimpsed movement inside. Gabriel was pacing back and forth, muttering to himself.

Annabeth stayed crouched by the window. She couldn't hear what he was saying, and she was about to move on around the house to look for another entrance when there was a muffled clatter from the other side of the house. Annabeth swore silently in ancient greek, and Gabriel stopped pacing abruptly.

"Nooroo, dark wings rise!" He transformed into Hawkmoth, and Annabeth did her best not to groan. She hoped Percy was alright. 

Annabeth couldn't see into the room from her hiding place, but she heard the fluttering of wings, then "Spymoth, I give you the power to protect yourself by seeing your enemies when they are nearby." Annabeth swore again, and sprinted away from the window as fast and quietly as she could, vaulting herself over the gate despite her instincts roaring at her to go back for Percy. She would be no good to him if she was caught as well, and she didn't have long before Spymoth's transformation took hold.

Annabeth kept running until she was sure she was a safe distance from the manor, mind whirring as she starting piecing together a plan to get back to her seaweed brain. She knew Percy could look after himself, but with Hawkmoth's new tactic he had infinite power, limited only by his own imagination and collection of butterflies. She wasn't going to leave him to fend for himself. 

Finally, Annabeth stopped walking altogether, and looked around. She had absolutely no idea where she was. The street name was unfamiliar, as were the houses, the roads, the shops and the shadows- oh. A figure in yellow was wending its way through the dark patches. Annabeth wished she had some other way to find her way back to the hotel, but right now she had no alternatives.

"Chloé!" Annabeth whisper-yelled. The girl squeaked and hid behind a tree. Annabeth sighed, making her way across the deserted road to her. "Look, I need your help! Stop being silly," Annabeth groaned as Chloé tried to shuffle around the tree to stay hidden, despite her coat sleeves obviously peeking out. Why was she even out here so late, so far from the hotel?

"What do you wan- Oh, it's you." Chloé finally stopped to look at Annabeth. "Where's your cute boyfriend?"

"Somewhere else," Annabeth gritted out. "Can you show me back to the hotel? I'm lost."

"Fine, but only if you swear-" 

"Yes, yes, I won't tell anyone I saw you. Where were you, anyway?"

"That's none of your business," the mayor's daughter sniffed. "Now, do you want to come with me, or not?"

Annabeth sighed, and followed Chloé through the darkened streets of Paris.