Chapter 31

The house was starting to have a slight stir-fried aroma around the living room and kitchen. The sound of the pan adding to that smell. It only made the three stomachs in the Hatake's household rumble, yearning for the cooking food. And while (Y/n) was taking care of it, Kakashi and Sakuto laid together on the floor. Well, on a special mat for kids.

It was a gift from Jiraiya for the little Sakuto. Over the mat was an arch from where some colorful toys hung so the baby would kick them and try to reach them while laying there. A baby gym, some people called it.

Sakuto would lay there, watching the colored soft things, and would reach his little chunky legs to move them and kick them, laughing when his also small feet got to feel the texture of the tiny plushies. A soft, cheery, and high-pitched giggle that mixed with the sound of the food being cooked, and that together resounded through the living room.

Kakashi would normally avert his eyes to his son next to him whenever the baby laughed, finding himself smiling at him. He'd normally lay down with him so that he didn't feel alone. And though at the beginning Kakashi always encouraged Sakuto to kick the toys or tried to make him laugh, he'd end up just laying there while reading next to him. Or well, that was until now that Sakuto had grown up enough so that he knew how to sit already.

When Sakuto got tired of kicking the toys that went back and forth, he made some of his baby noises. Just a vowel or two in a call for his father to pay attention to him. So that he encouraged him again with words of praise or so that he just made him laugh or cuddle. But whenever he saw that the attention that was supposed to be directed to him, was being focused on something white that his father had a tendency to look at a lot (on something he had yet to discover was a written book) Sakuto decided to kick his legs again. Though this time his victim weren't the hanging toys but Kakashi's book.

One wouldn't imagine how strong a baby in Sakuto's size is until he'd kick a book out of your hands. Kakashi looked at his son, arching a brow, and Sakuto brought his hands to his mouth, sucking on them while he had a wide smile under it.

"My book's not a toy, Sakuto" Kakashi said in a kind of serious way while he reached for his book again, inspecting for any non-existent folds in the pages. But his words only made the baby giggle some more as it had meant that he had gained his father's attention back. And once Kakashi was back to reading Sakuto kicked the book again, laughing more openly.

Kakashi quickly reached the book away from his son before it'd get damaged, and he looked at his son with what seemed to be a mix between a frown and an arched brow.

"Sakuto, no" he repeated more seriously. The baby giggled some more, which made Kakashi sigh, knowing he didn't understand. So he just kept reading while keeping the book where Sakuto wouldn't reach.

The baby complained a little as he tried to reach it with his legs in a baby blue suit, in vain of course. It was then when he tried to sit, with difficulty due to his small and chunky body. He ran a sloppish hand across his forehead, taking some hair out of the way as he leaned on the body of his father, pushing him as he tried to climb up to him.

Kakashi was forced to stop his reading once again.

"What are you trying?" he asked his son as he watched him trying to climb over him.

Once he was on top of his father's abdomen he climbed up and looked at his father's face for a couple of seconds. Kakashi looked at him squinting his eyes because he had been treating his books badly and he knew he was trying to annoy him. But Sakuto smiled and leaned his head on Kakashi's chest, hugging his father.

Kakashi felt physical warmth in his chest, and not because of the little's body on him. It was his heart, melting inside of him from how adorable it was and how well it felt to have his son cuddling to him. His wary frown changed to a happy smile as he brought one of his big hands to Sakuto's back, returning his hug. The baby snuggled a little on Kakashi and the father kept reading.