23. Life or Death

I lost sight of the others long ago, it was just me, Ash and the forest. The sounds of fire, helicopters and screaming became more and more distant. My vision became blurred as my steps slowed further, I wouldn't be able to make it much farther.

My legs gave out and I fell to my hands and knees, pain surged through my body. I had to stay awake, I just had to, but, my body disagreed. My eyelids became heavier as my arm twitched, causing me to fall to my side. Ash laid down beside me.
"Looks like this is the end for us, Ash. Well, at least we were together until the end, yeah?" I coughed, stroking her back weakly.

Suddenly, not too far away, I saw a walking purple creature and a boy, they both wore strange clothing. I saw them look down at me and the boy ran to me and touched my neck. His lips were moving, like he was talking, but I couldn't hear anything. He stroked Ash, then our eyes met. I must be hallucinating from the blood loss. My eyes finally shut and I drifted to unconsciousness, very possibly, to death. I mean, atleast I got to look at a pair of pretty blue eyes before I died.

Ezra POV:

Zeb and I are searching our section of the woods for the binary motivator. In the distance I could hear chaos, worse than the night we crashed in Caledonia. Zeb sniffed the air and his eyes widened.
"What?" I asked.
"That girl, and a wolf." He said and looked to the left.

I looked forward and saw the familiar fiery red hair of Phoenix. Her body laid beside a tree with a large black wolf beside her. I ran over and checked her pulse, she was still alive but fading fast. The flesh of her back was scorched and she had two bullet wounds, one on her shoulder and one in her lower stomach, dirt and blood covered her face.

The wolf looked alarmingly similar to the legends from Lothal. It had a purple collar and blood running from it's shoulder. It growled at me, weakly biting close to my arm.
"Easy, we're here to help." I said, stroking it's back.

I noticed Phoenix's eyes were still slightly open.
"Hey, hey! Come on, stay with me." I begged as her eyes shut completely.

I put her backpack on my shoulder and picked her up.
"Come on, we need to get her to the ship, you get the wolf." I said.
"Why? We don't even know this kid." Zeb said.
"Because if we do nothing, they'll die." I snapped.
"Why do you care if she- ohhhh." Zeb realized.
"What?" I asked.
"Nothing, I'll contact Hera and Kanan." He said, picking up the wolf.

*****

We got back to the ship as fast as we could. When we walked on, Kanan and Hera were waiting there for us.
"Come on, get them to the medbay." Hera ordered.

We hurried to the medbay, I set Phoenix down and Zeb set down the wolf while Hera and Kanan started getting the medical supplies.
"Okay boys, out." Hera said.
"What?!" I asked.
"Let Kanan and I work, unless you know anything about medical procedures." She sassed, looking down at me.
I groaned and Zeb pulled me out.

*****

An hour later the pair walked out and I ran over to them.
"How are they?" I asked.
"Phoenix is stable for now, but she'll need to get in a bacta tank as soon as we get back to Garel. The wolf will be fine, there wasn't any damage to vital organs." Hera explained.
"How long until we get back to Garel?" I asked.
"A few hours." Hera answered and walked off.

I felt Kanan's hand on my shoulder.
"Ezra, she'll be fine." Kanan assured.
I nodded and looked down at my feet.

Sabine had found the motivator so we quickly were able to jump to hyperspace safely.