8 - CLASSES AND SOCIALIZING

My biology class went by amazing, the teacher gave me my text books and the class went by as normal. I didn't know what was going on, but made a mental note to check on it later today. Everybody was really quiet in class and seemed to take it all quite seriously, which i appreciated.

My next class was math, whose teacher was just as cold as Dayton had explained him to be. He forced a certain girl to sit next to me, saying, "You will be her math guide." I didn't appreciate it but I wasn't going to object. The girl introduced herself as Halima and I could tell she was Muslim by the beautiful hijab she had on her head. She kept quiet the rest of the class, quietly paying attention, but spoke up at the end when we were all leaving for our 20 minute break. 

"Hey! Cenobie, what's your next lesson?" she asked, scrunching her perfectly-shaped eyebrows in curiosity. 

"It's Computer Science." I answered, with a polite smile, truly appreciating that someone had bothered to talk to me.

"Come on! I'll walk you to the computer labs."

We walked out of the room as Halima pulled out a breakfast bar, which she claimed was her every-day break snack. She was very pretty, with big dark brown almost maroon-ish eyes and skin that was the colour of honey in the sun. She was slim but healthy, her body having a slight build.

Once we were out of the class and into the empty outdoor hallway, she began to talk in lower tones,

"I just wanted to fill you in on all the latest gossip in school, I know I would have appreciated it if I were new," she said with a wink and continued, "So everyone here is really nice when you first meet them but they're almost all backstabbing bitches and I would not advice you on trusting anyone." She finished with a thorough concentrated stare toward the sky, and I couldn't help but wonder what this girl had gone through.

"The girls have these groups they walk around in, and they're like friend groups but ranked socially by status. They're not harmful, it's just typical high school drama but it's really not worth your time. Believe me, I've tried. But the person I'd for sure advice you to steer clear of is Salem. He's the one right outside the dining hall right there." She ranted, pointing towards our left to a big building which had a few people standing in front of it.

 It wasn't hard to recognize him though, he was well-built and taller than all the other guys there, his hair hanging in a lose bun, a few strands falling onto his well-defined face. He exerted dominance and this other deadly mysterious aura I couldn't place my finger on.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked. Why does she want me away from him?

"Because... just everything Cenobie. Trust me, he's bad news."

His name was Salem; meaning peace in hebrew, as I had learnt in some of the extra Hebrew lessons I had taken in my previous school; they were kind of compulsory back then.

Halima walked me to the computer labs and showed me which one I was meant to be in, afterwards waving goodbye and leaving for her geography class. 

I was alone once again, but all the other computer students were standing around in groups and talking. I could hear one of the girl groups, and even though I don't like eaves dropping, I was within hearing range anyway, so I didn't even have to try.

"Have you guys seen Maliha? You know, since that basketball court incident with Salem?"

"No, but I messaged her yesterday and she didn't reply."

"Her mum told me she moved out of town."

Salem really was trouble then.

Our teacher, the tall slim man with square spectacles called to us when the previous class had left, and we all stormed in. I took the seat closest to the front since I knew it probably didn't belong to anyone anyways.

The class was quite boring; I had already learnt half these things by coding online, so I didn't have to pay much attention. 

Before I knew it, it was lunch time and I could see Dayton waiting for me outside from the large window wall in the computer lab.