Chapter 11 Lucky Break

Sarena flies up, out of the green portal, holding Max by the shoulders, who holds Glik by the hand, like a chain link. The door closes as all three exit.
   She floats down, lowering Glik, and then Max, before landing herself onto the sprawling field of wet grass.
   The three look up and all around, holding their hands out to catch and confirm the falling water. Smiles and relief come over them, as they close their eyes, reveling in the soothing and cleansing water washing over them.
   "Thank goodness, rain," Sarena says.
   "Finally a lucky break," from Max.
   "I'll finally get the rest of these bug guts off me," Glik laughs.
   Allowing themselves a laugh, they start to lay down, enjoying the rain and reprieve in the cooling temperature. The rain goes to work, starting to remove charred soot, bug remnants and their own dried blood. The calm and tranquil grassland comes at a huge relief to the exhausted and worn out three.
   It spans far with hills and forests in the distance, a close by woodland area to the one side.
   They all receive a sense of safety from the peaceful setting, as all three succumb to their sleepless and battle stricken fatigue.
   Sarena opens her eyes to the sound of a woman's scream, coming from the trees. It stirs the other two as well, and they all start to rise back onto their feet. Unsure of how long they've been out for, but trying to become alert nonetheless.
   The woman screams again. Sarena looks at her companions and gives them a nod, not being able to just stand by while a possible injustice is occurring within earshot, and knowing they will follow her.
   "Come on, let's go," she motions, charging into the woods to investigate.
   Glik and Max share a look before turning foward, releasing large sighs as they start chasing after their friend.
   "Here we go again," Max says.
   "Let's just hope it's something easy this time," Glik hopes. "Sarena, wait up!"
   She darts past the trees, running through the woods towards the woman in distress. Another scream rings out as Sarena gets closer.
   "Stop it! Just please leave us be!" coming from up ahead in a woman's voice.
   "You should not of tried to run away," coming from a man's voice. "You know the rules, we are just doing our jobs."
   Sarena starts to make out bodies to go with the voices, as she races foward.
   Four armored guards, three with swords and shields, and one wielding a crossbow. A body in tattered rags and animal hides lay on the ground, face down. A woman and a small boy wearing similiar rags and hides, wrestle with the soldiers.
   "He is just a young boy, please," the woman cries.
   "You know the rules, any boy older than twelve has to serve. Now let go, or you can end up like your husband!" shouts one of the guards, as he tries to rip the boy from her.
   "Hey!" Sarena yells, entering the scene. "Leave them alone," she demands, drawing her sword and holding a small rod in the other.
   All of them freeze in shock and terror. Wide eyes and large mouths as skin turns pail and some begin to tremble. The soldiers raise their hands up and go down to one knee.
   "We are sorry, we did not know," the lead soldier says.
   The mother grabs her son and backs up sobbing.
   "Please no, do not hurt us, we just wanted to be together," she pleads, panicked and scared.
   Sarena lowers her sword and shield rod back to her belt, as she grows confused by their reactions, and Glik and Max catch up with her. She hears her friends coming from behind, and motions for them to stay back, as she investigates more and tries not to startle anyone further.
   "Calm down, it's OK, nobody's getting hurt," Sarena offers.
   The woman lets out a deep sigh of relief, as she clutches her son.
   "Thank you," the soldiers offer, as they rise back to their feet relieved.
   "Sorry again, we did not know this one was off limits," the lead guard explains. "And that there was even another one like you, my lady."
   Sarena's confusion and eyes grow wider.
   "What do you mean, 'another one like you'," she asks.
   The lead guard grows panicked as he raises his hands again, kneeling and lowering his head.
   "My apologies for my ignorance my lady, I meant no offense," he offers, scared and flustered. "Please, excuse our ignorance, we were just never made aware of another."
   "You have seen another one like me?"
   "Well of course my lady, lord Amir."
   "What!" she yells in shock and puzzlement. "Lord Amir? Tell me this, does this lord have purple hair and wings, like that of an amethyst?"
   "Yes my lady. Are you ok? This is all very confusing."
   "Yes, I'm OK. I just haven't seen my brother in a long time. And, this is very confusing. Is my brother, your lord, ordering you to abduct children?"
   "We are drafting them, not abducting. It is for a good cause, to serve his country and maintain order. The insurgency has been growing in the kingdom, if we cannot put it to rest by the time our lordship returns, we will all be dead men. We are under strict instructions, and lord Amir does not tolerate insubordination. I am sorry my lady, but we really need to take this boy, or we risk incuring his wrath."
   "You don't know me, but trust me, my wrath is far greater than my brother's. Where is my brother now?"
   "We do not know for sure, but we do know he is in another region of the world, ensuring order."
   "Well, send him word that I will be seeing him soon. And until then, the children of this kingdom are under my protection. Now leave with your lives, while you still can."
   "My lady, I am sorry but if we return without the boy, we will have forfeited our lives anyway. We are taking the boy," the soldier demands, finally standing and drawing his weapon, along with the rest of the guards.
   Max finally steps out from behind the tree, holding his rifle. "You heard the lady, gentlemen. You might risk death leaving, but I guarantee the death you'll get from me shovin' those knives up your asses is gonna hurt alot worse."
   Max grins as he threatens the men, taking his place at Sarena's side, as Glik steps out and takes his place at her other side, holding two blasters and smiling.
   The sight of Max and Glik shock and scare the men and the woman.
   "A goblin?" one man shouts.
   "And what kind of techno-sorcery weapons are those?" another asks.
   "They look strange and dangerous, we should get out of here and take our chances. I really do not want a sword up my ass," a third soldier says.
   "Fine have it your way, lord Amir will hear of this treachery," the lead man promises, admitting defeat.
   "I'm counting on it," Sarena claims.
   The guards lower their weapons and retreat through the forest.
   "What's a goblin?" Glik asks.
   "Apparently, it's a little green monster." Max laughs.
   "Hey, I'm not a monster."
   Sarena attempts to calm the still frightened mother and son.
   "It's OK, we're not going to hurt you. Are you both OK?"
   The mother starts to look relieved as she loosens the tight grip on her boy.
   Suddenly, the downed body begins to stir and groan.
   "John!" the woman yells, as she gently releases her son and bends down, tending to her husband. "John, are you OK?"
   "I will be fine, but where is Henry?" John asks, rubbing his head and slowly getting up. "Is Henry OK? Did they take him?"
   "It is OK dad, I am right here," the boy responds.
   "Oh thank goodness," John says, rising to his feet and hugging his family.  
   "What happened? Why did they not take him Lina?"
   "We had a little help John. These kind folks saved us," the woman explains, motioning behind him.
   John lifts his head to look at their saviors. Their appearance startles him, as he instinctively holds out his arms, putting his family to his back to protect them.
   "It's OK, we're not from around here, but heard your wife's screams, and just wanted to help," Sarena explains.
   "Oh, thank you," John offers, lowering and relaxing his arms. "May I ask, why you have features like that of lord Amir?"
   "Amir is my brother."
   "I see, are you here to enslave us too?"
   "No, definitely not. Is that what's going on here? Amir is enslaving people?"
   "Well, of course he calls it something different, but taking away people's freedom is taking away freedom anyway you say it."
   "How long has this been going on?"
   "Hundreds of years."
   Shock and disbelief come over Sarena.
   "Sarena . . . that means you were in the box for at least hundreds of years," Glik realizes.
   "I know what it means Glik, I just hope it wasn't much longer than that."
   "You have been trapped inside a box?" John inquires. "And you are not aligned with your brother?"
   "Yes, I've been locked away for a long time . . . by some of my treacherous family nonetheless. And no, we are not aligned, if that's what is taking place."
   "I am sorry for your hardships, and thank you again for saving us. You all look like you have been through alot. Our current residence is very well hidden. May we offer you refuge, and a proper meal as part of our thanks?" John offers.
   "Now we're talkin'," buts in Max. "I'm starvin', could eat the butthole out of a bug right now."
   Sarena sends her colorful comrade a look before agreeing. "That would be great, thank you."
   They all begin traveling through the woods to the hidden refuge.
   "You live out here all by yourselves?" Sarena asks, as they move though the trees.
   "Well, we used to live in the village, but once Henry started to turn of age, we just could not abide with letting them take him," John explains. "We have everything we need. I am a decent hunter, and Lina can craft almost anything.
   "We will occasionally head into town, selling extra meat, hides and crafts, to obtain anything that we cannot acquire out here. We were on our way back from one such trip when the guards found us.
   "It should not be much farther now."
   They continue on through the forest for another mile, until the sound of running water makes itself heard from up ahead.
   The dense trees give way to a beautiful setting. A small waterfall, enclosed by stones and giving birth to a small lake before continuing on, downstream.
   Sarena, Max and Glik stand in awe, admiring the beauty before them.
   "We are here," declares John.
   "You live at a waterfall?" Sarena asks.
   "Not at, but behind. This way," their guide clarifies, as they follow him around the plunge pool. Staying on the stones, everyone carefully traverses the side to the waterfall, and makes their way to the hidden cave behind it, only getting a little wet from the falling water's mist.
   The guests, still in awe from the increasingly magical location, follow their hosts further down into the cave, away from the cool mist and into a warm and cozy cave dwelling.
   "Welcome to our home. You all are welcome to stay here for as long as you need or would like. Lina is a bit of a healer, and can tend to any of your wounds. We have warm blankets and clothing if you like. And, of course we have food."
   Sarena, Max and Glik begin to refresh and rejuvenate themselves as the days go on. Wounds heal, bellies fill, bodies bath and tired eyes become rested ones. Glik's even able to recharge the portal gun.
   "Well, it's all charged up," Glik says, holding the big gun. "We can leave whenever we want."
   "We're not leaving yet," Sarena declares. "We still have unanswered questions and unfinished business here."