❥ 2.5

//Hi everyone. This section is going to be dedicated to one of my best friends Thor, who recently committed suicide. In case you didn't know, he's @ shucking_imagines_fanpage on instagram. Please leave a nice comment, but keep in mind he's a boy. Thanks so much xx And thanks for 2k reads, you guys are epic.\\

"But I did." I turn and grin at him.

Newt picks up the crate and empties it's contents onto the grass gently. There were a huge set of walkie talkies for the runners, a guitar, a book of constellations , and a note. I snatch the note off the ground while Newt picks up the guitar and inspects it, plucking at the strings.

He then suddenly picks me up and spins me in a circle. "Thank you thank you thank you!"

I smile widely. "You're very welcome."

He gets down on his knees to pick up the book of constellations. He smiles and slowly turns the glossy pages. I watch from behind the other crates, grinning at every little move he makes. The blinking of his eyelashes or the flicking of his wrist as he turns the pages.

I didn't think such humans existed, but I'm positive I've found a perfect one.

"Hey, we can go through what I got later, we have to do what Alby told us to do now." I say as Newt walks over to me. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me towards him. He plants a kiss on the top of my head and I feel heat start rapidly flowing through my body from where his lips touched me.

"Alright Princess Care," Newt says playfully, "hand me the crowbar." I smile and hand it to him as I get the other one.

"Thanks love." He starts cracking open the crates, and so do I.

Not much later, we unloaded and recorded everything we received and put it all away. We then went and got the other purple flower curtain out of storage and laid it out in the clearing, bringing our new stuff along. After sitting for an hour fiddling with the walkie talkies, we gave up on trying to get them to work. Newt swears he felt a memory tugging at his brain when he held that guitar, so he strummed away at it as I lay on my stomach leafing through the book, looking up at him every so often to see the sun shining through his hair as he bit his lip and concentrated on guitar strings.

"Does this sound right?" He would ask every so often, and he'd strum a few chords.

"I don't know what it's supposed to sound like, but it sounds nice. Reminds me of the 50's, but I don't know what happened in the 50's."

"I don't think so." Newt said, not to what I just said, but to himself. He kept at it, humming every so often.

~*~

Before we knew it, night had fallen, and it was time for the bonfire. Newt and I go together, of course, and dance our hearts out. And when that familiar slow song came on, we danced, but the whole song this time, firelight filling our eyes and tinting our hair.

I think he wanted to kiss me, but I'm not sure.

At the usual stopping time, Alby calls our attention.

"Everyone!" We quiet down. "Because of our new sweetheart's absence, we will be holding another bonfire when she wakes up."

Whooping and hollering fills the Glade. Thomas high fives me and Newt and I grin at each other.

"Two more things," The noise dies down. "And please hold your celebrations until the end. Our old sweetheart has finally learned her name, so everyone welcome Caroline to the bonfire with a name this month-"

Alby was cut off as the cheering resumes. I laugh and look at him, he rolls his eyes but claps. I wave and say a quick thank you before Alby continues.

"For a little extra entertainment tonight, Newt has something prepared for us. We got a guitar in the Box this month, under Caroline's request, and Newt remembered a thing or two." Alby picks the guitar from up off of the ground behind him, which I didn't notice was there before. "Newt, take it from here?"

Newt squeezes my hand, which surprises me because I didn't realize we were holding hands, and takes the guitar from Alby and sits down on the ground. Everyone sits down around me, so I do too.

"As soon as I picked up this guitar, I felt a memory being freed from whatever holds our memories back. After messing around for awhile, I tugged it free, and now I'm going to show you what I remember. This is Twenty Flight Rock."

(I KNOW I'M SO CHEESEY FORGIVE ME)

Everyone cheers as Newt positions his hands on the strings. He starts to strum and sing, which takes me by surprise.

Well, I got a girl with a record machine
When it comes to rockin' she's a queen
Took her to dance on a Saturday night
All alone so I can hold her tight
But she lives in a twentieth floor up town
The elevator's broken down
So I walked one, two flight, three flight, four
Five, six, seven flight, eight flight more
Up on the twelfth and I started to drag
Fifteenth floor I'm ready to sag
When I get to the top, I'm too tired to rock

After he strums those last few chords everyone starts cheering and clapping. I'm grinning so wide at him, and he's grinning so wide right back at me.

"I think that's a good place to stop." Alby says. Everyone groans. "But we'll have another one soon when the sweetheart wakes up. Goodnight everyone."

Newt walks me back to my corner. We talk the whole way there about his performance.

"I didn't know you could sing like that!" I laugh.

Newt shrugs while we swing our arms, but he laughs too. "Honestly I didn't either."

When we get to my corner, he lets go of my hand and holds me the same way he did at the Box earlier, but a lot longer.

"No stars tonight?" I ask, face buried in Newt's chest.

"Tomorrow, I promise." He whispers into my hair. We pull apart and I duck behind my curtain, but keep my head out.

"Goodnight Care." Newt says.

"Night." I say, dragging out the t. As I sit in my hammock, I pull the note out of my pocket, unfold it, and read.

We hope you're happy with all your suggestions. Things are changing, and you need to prepare for it. The next month is going to be rough.

WCKD