Under the willow tree

"How did I manage to find myself in such a situation?", whispered Thomas Virtuous. "I didn't think my relationship with Amanda Mystère would end like this", he continued. The fifteen-year-old boy began to think about the first time he met Amanda Mystère, a student who attended the same school as him.

     It all started on a monday, two weeks ago. While in class, Thomas was no longer paying attention to what his french teacher was saying when the bell rang for the lunch break. He then proceeded to gather his books, put them in his backpack, picked up his homemade lunch, then slipped past the other students in the hallway leading to the main entrance of the school building.

     Once outside, he began to walk around the school building, and arrived at a certain crossroads, he saw a small quiet corner strewn with trees. He then leaned against a gigantic white willow tree located approximately in the middle of the small green field and began to admire the scenery. It was a beautiful spring day.  At the beginning of June, summer was already being felt, as, even though there was no trace of snow in the area, some chilly breezes could be felt. Suddenly, a strange feeling came over him. It was not the first time he had felt this deep desolation. A certain emptiness had inhabited him since he had moved from the Old Montreal area to live in Dollard-des-Ormeaux with his mother earlier this year. Thomas was in tenth grade. He had never really familiarized with his comrades because, his character, no more reserved than shy, left no room for those who dared to venture into his daily life. He got so blue that he forgot to eat.

     His eyes filled with tears in a split second. He couldn't take it anymore and let out a cry of despair that produced a strange uproar. A din coupled with a female voice. Deeply astonished, he stepped out from behind the tree he was leaning on. Was there someone else in the area? He was not mistaken because, emerging from the other side of the tree, the hidden side of the latter, and approaching him, was a young girl.