What Was Stolen

The citadel halls bustled with activity. People rushed every which way, shouting questions and confusion at the weathered knight.

"Arthur!" Morgana called over the din. "Let us take Merlin to Gaius."

Arthur hesitated, but gently draped the boy over Morgana and Gwen's shoulders. "I'll be back as soon as I can." He took Leon by the arm and moved as fast as he could down the hall towards the council chamber.

"I need an audience with the king!" Leon said. 

"I figured as much. We're going there now."

They reached the large double doors and a pair of guards opened them as they passed. There were gasps and murmurs from the council members as they caught sight of Sir Leon. Uther stood from his seat to greet his lost knight.

"Sir Leon," he said surprised. "I am truly relieved. How on Earth were you able to escape?"

"Sire," Leon attempted to bow, but nearly fell. "I wish I could recount a harrowing escape, but I cannot. It would be a lie. Cenred he... he let me go."

The king narrowed his eyes. "Why would he do that?"

"To send you a message, Sire. He says... if you don't return what you stole from him, he- he," the knight stuttered, almost unable to say his next words. "He would slaughter every Camelot knight he has captured and spread their fresh remains along the border."

"I haven't stolen anything from him!" Uther growled. "How can he demand such a thing?"

Arthur's blood ran cold. He had a sinking feeling he knew what, or who, Cenred was referring to. 

"Cenred also wanted me to inform you that he will be coming to Camelot tomorrow to collect what you stole-"

"I did not steal ANYTHING!"

"I know, my Lord. I only relay the message. There's one more thing." He turned to Arthur. "Cenred said Prince Arthur would certainly know what was stolen."

Arthur looked away, unable to make eye contact. 

"Arthur, do you know anything about this?" his father asked.

Arthur shook his head. "I do not."

Uther stood. "We will send knights and guards to meet them. The king of Essitir will be escorted here unharmed. To kill or capture him would be an act of war. Maybe if we have a peaceful discussion war can be avoided for the time being. Everyone can leave happy." Most of the council members nodded at his decision.

As the nobles filed out of the room, Toby approached Arthur from the shadows. He bowed. 

"My Lord," 

"Toby, I wanted to ask you... what did you mean when you said 'why I became your servant,' or something like that?"

"It... it was nothing, Sire. I'm sorry to have brought it up."

"Toby, I know that's-"

"Another servant told me Gaius was looking for you. We should head down to his chambers."

"Of course... but only if your sure you don't want to-"

"I'm fine!" Toby snapped.

Arthur was taken aback. He had never witnessed such a fowl temper come from the boy.

"I'm sorry, Sire... I didn't mean..."

"It's alright. We'd better get to Gaius."

The pair rushed through the hall and down the stairs to Gaius' chambers. Arthur barged in.