Training (Eric Coulter)

"You've got to be kidding me."

It wasn't an easy path to get where you are today. Thinking back to that one moment all those years ago, when you had sliced open your palm and chosen Erudite in front of everyone you held dear, you never could have imagined the trials you'd have to face. The choices you've made, the people you've been forced to cut out of your life- they've all been for one goal: the future of Erudite.

You had worked harder than you ever had before, struggling to stay afloat when it seemed like everyone in the world knew more than you, and was keen to keep it that way. Yet, here you are- one of the most trusted members of Jeanine's inner circle. You had helped form her plan to control the factions, had been there since the beginning and helped carefully mold it into the master scheme it was today. Everything had been for the future of Erudite as the crowning glory of the factions.

And here she is, sending you to Dauntless.

Jeanine sighs and shakes her head. "I know how you feel, but this is for the best. You need to go to Dauntless, not only to ensure that our forces there are prepared for the next few steps to take but also to protect yourself. If you train with Dauntless, in the private sessions so no one else suspects anything, you will have the tools to defend yourself if necessary. You're one of my most important allies, Y/N. If you are attacked or even die, the entire project could fall apart."

You look at her, still more than a little disgruntled. "Flattering me won't do anything to convince me to do this." Jeanine lets a small smile cross the usual thin slant of her mouth. "It's not flattery if it's true. Now come, your train departs shortly." You follow Jeanine to the train station, somehow unsurprised by the fact that she'd planned everything so precisely. In all the time you've been around Jeanine, you've learned one thing: what she says will happen. Every single time.

By the time the train pulls up to a Dauntless station, Jeanine's already briefed you. You'll only stay for a week at most, but you'll have private training sessions with one of the leaders. A few other members of Jeanine's inner circle are here as well, so it looks like you're not the only one she wants to protect.

You and your fellow Erudites enter the building through a back door, making sure that you are not spotted by any Dauntless who aren't in on the plan. Even though they'll shortly be under Erudite control, it would still be best if suspicions weren't raised.

Eventually, you find yourself in a dark, high-ceilinged training room. A few Dauntless leaders and trainers come over and greet Jeanine, clearly they are in on the plan. The Dauntless are cocky and confident, seeming completely unfazed by the fact that they are actively conspiring against the other factions. They are clothed in all black, with tattoos detailing their skin. Your eye is caught by one man in particular, with patterns of black ink stretching up his neck. He returns your gaze with a smirk.

Jeanine turns to her fellow Erudites. "These are your trainers. Philip, you go with Alan. Clara, with Jasmin. And Y/N, you'll go with Eric." She points at the blond man with the tattoos you had noticed before. He raises his eyebrows. "I was told I was going to be training the best. She seems pretty small to be your best." Jeanine's face does not change, but her tone seems just a little bit icier. "She is the best." Eric shrugs at that, unbothered, and gestures for you to follow him. This is going to be one long week.

You're actually not as bad at hand-to-hand combat as you'd thought. Sure, Eric can beat you every time, but that's to be expected- he's been training as a Dauntless for much longer than you have. However, you're able to block his blows, and even get in a few hits that you can tell he doesn't expect. Maybe it's just a perk of being an Erudite- you can think ahead to what he's going to do and block the actions before he even makes them.